What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
teotlxixtli
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by teotlxixtli »

I woke up in the middle of the night when it was technically today (but before dawn) and got to 1,000+ words in my Nilo-Saharan inspired proto-lang
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I accomplished a lot of leftover RL duties, so now I should have more headspace to devote to conlang and neography and Worldbuilding activities.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I just finished a multi-hour-long session of drawing 325 species/breeds (counting the kmida (cat-analogue) and styucha (dog-analogue) breeds separately) of life-forms in the indigo plant bioswath, including the two sapient species, vlcheks and biwis!

My task tomorrow is to name them all!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

So... I know what an areal feature is, and I have known so for many years.

However, I was today years old when I learnt, or rather realized, that areal doesn't derive from "not really a feature" (a-real) but from "caused by close vicinity" (area-l). I'd say that counts as the accomplishment for the day. [xD]
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 20 May 2022 11:29 So... I know what an areal feature is, and I have known so for many years.

However, I was today years old when I learnt, or rather realized, that areal doesn't derive from "not really a feature" (a-real) but from "caused by close vicinity" (area-l). I'd say that counts as the accomplishment for the day. [xD]
My mother used to think a diatom was called a di-atom, as in they only had two atoms in their body.
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 20 May 2022 11:53 My mother used to think a diatom was called a di-atom, as in they only had two atoms in their body.
I remember thinking that, but I don’t remember how old I was when I found out it was dia-tom, “across-cut”.

I deliberately reanalyze words sometimes for jokes.
For instance, in what way is vinegar without whales?
Why do we call it a-cetic acid?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 21 May 2022 06:45 I deliberately reanalyze words sometimes for jokes.
For instance, in what way is vinegar without whales?
Why do we call it a-cetic acid?
[xD] Good one!

Here's one for all of you: Which conlang takes away a smelly fruit?
♂♥♂♀

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote: 21 May 2022 07:53
[xD] Good one!

Bor(e)-durian?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 22 May 2022 14:24
Khemehekis wrote: 21 May 2022 07:53
[xD] Good one!

Bor(e)-durian?
You've got the second part right. This isn't Hergé, though. Hint: think German prefixes.
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I thought of “apoduran”. I must have misspelled “-durian”, omitting the <i >.
I don’t know the names of enough conlangs!
….
This riddles a/o jokes subthread should probably be split, and maybe put in a different subforum.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: I thought of “apoduran”. I must have misspelled “-durian”, omitting the <i >.
I don’t know the names of enough conlangs!
….
This riddles a/o jokes subthread should probably be split, and maybe put in a different subforum.
What does "apoduran" mean? I can't find it online. Were you thinking of "epidural"?

Apo- is Greek, not German, anyway.
♂♥♂♀

WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Verdurian!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

WeepingElf wrote: 23 May 2022 12:23Verdurian!
[+1] [+1] [+1] [:D]

Bingo!
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 23 May 2022 06:09 What does "apoduran" mean? I can't find it online. Were you thinking of "epidural"?
Away from duran, whatever duran is. I was thinking of durian and misspelled it, I think.

So IOW it doesn’t mean anything.

….

I wasn’t thinking of German affixes at all!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 24 May 2022 22:26 Away from duran, whatever duran is. I was thinking of durian and misspelled it, I think.
Duran is 1/2 of the "Hungry like the Wolf" band.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On the day that ended an hour ago, I created the alphabet for Vlchichi, the state language of the vlcheks of Adzhetyom, and named all 35 letters. Numerals and punctuation will have to wait until another day.

I created several equivalents to "overm-" words (overmark, overmatter, overmelt, overmilk, overmist, overmoist, overmoderate, overmodify, overmodulate, etc.) in Kankonian. I now have fewer than 400 words to go before I reach 80,000. (Oh, and I now have a word for "godmodding" too, as well as the noun "mod" like a video game personalization.)
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 25 May 2022 10:24 I now have fewer than 400 words to go before I reach 80,000.
Damn! 80,000! That's a huge conlang :)
MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Today I went to a website called profantasy.com and I bought a map making program called "Campaign Cartographer 3 +" to start making maps of my conworld! I bought a majority of the products ProFantasy offered. I got CC3+, City Designer 3, Cosmographer 3, Dungeon Designer 3, Fractal Terrain 3, Perspective 3, Source Map: Cities; Source Map: Temples, Tombs, & Catacombs; Symbol Set 1 v3 - Overland, Symbol Set 2 v3 - Floor Plans, Symbol Set 3 v3 - Modern, Symbol Set 4 v3 - Dungeons of Schley, Symbol Set 5 v3 - Cities of Schley, and Tome of Ultimate Mapping.

I used CC3+ to make my very first map of my conworld! It's map of the first settlement of the very ancient Humrayans. The first settlement is located adjacent to the Azov Sea. For the writing, I used the very ancient Humrayan alphabet called "Skrytam," which was primarily used to etch on stone and wood and clay tablets.

While making that map of the first settlement, I had a very interesting idea: why not make my conpeople and conworld into LitRPG for myself!? I'd write short stories, beginning in those very ancient times of the first settlement, and in the story I can incorporate dice rolls and poker cards. The dice rolls and poker cards would determine, for example, how much fish they would catch in one day, if raiders come, how many raiders, if battles happen between the Humrayans and the raiders, if they establish another city, if they migrate, and so on. CC3+ lets you start from primitive times and lets you make maps and worlds all the way to space colonization, star maps, space ships, make entire planets! And so, over the years, I can gradually use CC3+ to develop my conpeople and conworld.

I'm going to practice using the Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs in conjunction with Perspective 3 to make 3D temples for my conworld's religion! Wish me luck... and fun!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

MissTerry wrote: 26 May 2022 01:06 Image

Today I went to a website called profantasy.com and I bought a map making program called "Campaign Cartographer 3 +" to start making maps of my conworld! I bought a majority of the products ProFantasy offered. I got CC3+, City Designer 3, Cosmographer 3, Dungeon Designer 3, Fractal Terrain 3, Perspective 3, Source Map: Cxties; Source Map: Temples, Tombs, & Catacombs; Symbol Set 1 v3 - Overland, Symbol Set 2 v3 - Floor Plans, Symbol Set 3 v3 - Modern, Symbol Set 4 v3 - Dungeons of Schley, Symbol Set 5 v3 - Cxties of Schley, and Tome of Ultimate Mapping.

I used CC3+ to make my very first map of my conworld! It's map of the first settlement of the very ancient Humrayans. The first settlement is located adjacent to the Azov Sea. For the writing, I used the very ancient Humrayan alphabet called "Skrytam," which was primarily used to etch on stone and wood and clay tablets.
What an awesome map! I made an alphabet for Vlchichi (the state language of the vlcheks) the other day, and I had to try three different ideas before I got something that worked: loopy letters; cuneiform; and the alphabet I ended up using, wherein each letter is centered around a vertical line. Vlchichi's alphabet actually looks a lot like Skrytam in that regard, except it also has plenty of curves. Your Skrytam adds a bloody-red flair to the map!
While making that map of the first settlement, I had a very interesting idea: why not make my conpeople and conworld into LitRPG for myself!? I'd write short stories, beginning in those very ancient times of the first settlement, and in the story I can incorporate dice rolls and poker cards. The dice rolls and poker cards would determine, for example, how much fish they would catch in one day, if raiders come, how many raiders, if battles happen between the Humrayans and the raiders, if they establish another city, if they migrate, and so on. CC3+ lets you start from primitive times and lets you make maps and worlds all the way to space colonization, star maps, space shxps, make entire planets! And so, over the years, I can gradually use CC3+ to develop my conpeople and conworld.
What's a LitRPG? Is that an RPG told through writing and literature, instead of by several people sitting around a tabletop?
♂♥♂♀

MissTerry
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by MissTerry »

Khemehekis wrote: 27 May 2022 23:02 What's a LitRPG? Is that an RPG told through writing and literature, instead of by several people sitting around a tabletop?
That's exactly what it is! It's like a cross between writing short stories merged with Role Playing Game, played by one person :) The stories about your conworld and conpeople is influenced by game rules, dice rolls, and I use poker cards too. If I draw a jack, queen, or king of spades, they mean barbarians raiding and attacking my little city. Then I have to fight the barbarians, Dungeons & Dragons style: turn based, and rolling dice et al.

I'd like to see your new alphabet! I based Skrytam on cuneiform, runes, and Ogham. It has 21 letters. I used to use it for Humrayan, but using only 21 letters to write a conlang with around 40 phonemes is cumbersome.

This is a sample of what the LitRPG of my conworld and conpeople looks like: