Word-Final <r> in Portuguese

A forum dedicated to the studying of natural languages and for discussions in languages other than English.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Word-Final <r> in Portuguese

Post by Arayaz »

In Duolingo, I've been occasionally hearing word-final <r> as something like [ɕ]. Any ideas why? Is this how it's supposed to sound?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages Ngama Areyaxi languages Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip ŋAħual 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Word-Final <r> in Portuguese

Post by qwed117 »

Popped up Duolingo Portuguese to test, and no, the word final /r/ appears as [x], which is, to my knowledge, fairly standard for Brazilian Portuguese. It might be a little bit more front than the typical uvulo-velar [x̠] I hear most English speakers use for /x/, but it's definitely a velar fricative
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

My Brazilian Portuguese-speaking friend just doesn't even pronounce word-final /r/ (with the exception of a following word beginning with a vowel). Maybe that's considered non-standard, though.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

qwed117 wrote: 28 Dec 2022 17:06 Popped up Duolingo Portuguese to test, and no, the word final /r/ appears as [x], which is, to my knowledge, fairly standard for Brazilian Portuguese. It might be a little bit more front than the typical uvulo-velar [x̠] I hear most English speakers use for /x/, but it's definitely a velar fricative
Okay, thank you!
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages Ngama Areyaxi languages Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip ŋAħual 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
Pāṇini
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Pāṇini »

In my experience as a non-native speaker of Brazilian Portuguese, [x] as a realization of the coda rhotic is strongly associated with the carioca or fluminense dialect of Rio de Janeiro. The variety which I speak, that of urban São Paulo, typically realizes coda /r/ as [ɾ~ɹ], although final /r/ is almost always dropped in infinitives. Other accents have other allophones—the speech of the Northeast typically uses [h], while rural São Paulo is known for its preference for [ɹ]—and, while there is no de facto standard accent for spoken Brazilian Portuguese, there is a definite preference for the accents of the urban Southeast.
天含青海道。城頭月千里。
/tʰiæn ɣɑm tsʰieŋ.hɑ́i dʱɑ́u ‖ ʑʱeŋ dʱəu ᵑgyæɾ tsʰiæn lí/
The sky swallows the road to Kokonor. On the Great Wall, a thousand miles of moonlight.
—/lí ɣɑ̀/ (李賀), tr. A. C. Graham
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Thanks again. The tap seems more like what I hear when I hear it spoken by actual native speakers (not on Duolingo).

my garbage

she/her