Sorry.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Re: Qarshkī Language/Каршкий/قارشكئ

Post by Keenir »

WeepingElf wrote: 20 May 2023 13:49 I have a feeling that Qarsherskiy doesn't really know what he is doing ;)
Definately enthusiastic about their work. Thats oft a good thing.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Keenir wrote: 20 May 2023 20:10
WeepingElf wrote: 20 May 2023 13:49 I have a feeling that Qarsherskiy doesn't really know what he is doing ;)
That was my feeling, for sure [:)] We were all new to conlanging/conworlding once, and it's always nice to see someone come at it with enthusiasm. It's what we're here for [:D]

Qarsherskiy wrote: 19 May 2023 18:18
WeepingElf wrote: 19 May 2023 16:37 What are the sound values of all those letters? Must be a humungous inventory like what can be found in some Caucasian languages such as Ubykh.
A À Á Ä Æ Å Ā Ë Ē È É E Í Í Ï Ī Į I İ ı Ö Œ O Ø Ü U Ū Ÿ Y̤ Ÿ̈ З Э ع
Here is a phonetic vowel list, best as I can do.

https://voloco.resonantcavity.com/appli ... 10a82e8e93
Qarshkī pan-Islamic song (https://micronations.wiki/wiki/AL-Ouss_ ... _Islamists)
As a follow up to this, do you happen to have a romanisation/transliteration for Qarshki? That is, a way of transcribing the letters that the language uses natively into the Roman alphabet? I'm assuming you do, because you use some sort of romanisation for names of people and places

For example, I might transcribe "سلام في يِچ پيسكايكر، جهاد پآ لا في يِچ اُپْرإِاسِّر" as "salām fī yeč pīskaykar, jihād pā lā fī yeč opreʾesser"

I am slightly disappointed to find, however, that the section meant to be written in Qarshki appears to be written entirely in Persian
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

sangi39 wrote: 20 May 2023 23:37I am slightly disappointed to find, however, that the section meant to be written in Qarshki appears to be written entirely in Persian
Well, initially, we read this:
Qarsherskiy wrote: 17 May 2023 21:55 Qarshkī borrows many loan-words from Arabic, Urdu, Persian, Kurdish, Turkish, French, Latin, and English. Qarsherskiy is usually written in the Arabic alphabet (ا ل م) but also is sometimes written in Russian (А Б С) or Latin (A B C) which is the alphabet English uses.
Maybe Qarsherskiy meant that its usually written in the Persian script? Or...
Qarshkī language’s version of the Arabic script usually uses Nastaliq font.
Would that explain its Persian-ness?

OR...maybe it was initially written in Persian, with the intention of replacing that passage with the same passage in Qarshki...once that has been written?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Keenir wrote: 21 May 2023 02:07
sangi39 wrote: 20 May 2023 23:37I am slightly disappointed to find, however, that the section meant to be written in Qarshki appears to be written entirely in Persian
Well, initially, we read this:
Qarsherskiy wrote: 17 May 2023 21:55 Qarshkī borrows many loan-words from Arabic, Urdu, Persian, Kurdish, Turkish, French, Latin, and English. Qarsherskiy is usually written in the Arabic alphabet (ا ل م) but also is sometimes written in Russian (А Б С) or Latin (A B C) which is the alphabet English uses.
Maybe Qarsherskiy meant that its usually written in the Persian script? Or...
Qarshkī language’s version of the Arabic script usually uses Nastaliq font.
Would that explain its Persian-ness?

OR...maybe it was initially written in Persian, with the intention of replacing that passage with the same passage in Qarshki...once that has been written?
That last point is my hope, to be fair [:)] At the moment it mostly seems to be a case of taking Persian and throwing a ton of Arabic loans at it (especially for grammatical functions), and some English, French, Turkish, and Arabic at it for vocab, but does seem there's a fair amount of "Persian as a placeholder" going on, which is fair

I had been hoping for, say, an Indo-Iranian conlang, or a divergent Indo-Aryan one, but as a start you have to appreciate the "throw stuff together" approach. It can lead to some good conlanging [:D]
Just one time.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

Khemehekis wrote: 20 May 2023 05:53
Qarsherskiy wrote: 18 May 2023 23:18 Some words for sword in Qarshkī:
Sawareem
Bulayeed
BasaraQQ
Sayf
Sayyeth
Svordsk
Suarim
Do all these words simply mean "sword", or do you mean there are words like daggers and kukris and scimitars and katanas and yataghans and halberds and kirpans?
Various interpretations exist for each word but they can all mean sword.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

Keenir wrote: 20 May 2023 00:14
Qarsherskiy wrote: 19 May 2023 18:12
eldin raigmore wrote: 19 May 2023 05:36 Why isn’t it a Caliphate instead of a Sultanate? Were they once conquered by the Ottoman Turks’ Empire?
The sultan is Sultan Ali Aq-Qarsherskiyy At-Tarīq AL-Akbar.

A caliphate is where all the Muslims countries from Morocco to Indonesia and the Southern Philippines unite under one banner.
That sort of unity could happen...but a Caliph is someone who can trace their ancestry to The Seal Of The Prophets {peace be upon him}
That is also true about caliphs, yes.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

You must be confused. Qarsherskiy is a place with 1,947 people.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

Iyionaku wrote: 20 May 2023 09:21 On the microwiki page, you state that Qarskī is an Indo-Europeam language. If so, is it in its own branch or is it related to other IE languages of the area, such as Persian?

Do you have etymologies for the sword terms? One that struck me as odd is "swordsk", as to the best of my knowledge only Germanic languages have a word for "sword" which is derived from PIE *seh₂w-. Of course it could be a loan word, but it's quite distant from the Germanic-speaking area.
It is related to Persian, quite a bit. Some dialects are completely intelligible to Persia but use more hard consonants.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

sangi39 wrote: 20 May 2023 23:37
Keenir wrote: 20 May 2023 20:10
That was my feeling, for sure [:)] We were all new to conlanging/conworlding once, and it's always nice to see someone come at it with enthusiasm. It's what we're here for [:D]

Qarsherskiy wrote: 19 May 2023 18:18
WeepingElf wrote: 19 May 2023 16:37 What are the sound values of all those letters? Must be a humungous inventory like what can be found in some Caucasian languages such as Ubykh.
A À Á Ä Æ Å Ā Ë Ē È É E Í Í Ï Ī Į I İ ı Ö Œ O Ø Ü U Ū Ÿ Y̤ Ÿ̈ З Э ع
Here is a phonetic vowel list, best as I can do.

https://voloco.resonantcavity.com/appli ... 10a82e8e93
Qarshkī pan-Islamic song (https://micronations.wiki/wiki/AL-Ouss_ ... _Islamists)
As a follow up to this, do you happen to have a romanisation/transliteration for Qarshki? That is, a way of transcribing the letters that the language uses natively into the Roman alphabet? I'm assuming you do, because you use some sort of romanisation for names of people and places

For example, I might transcribe "سلام في يِچ پيسكايكر، جهاد پآ لا في يِچ اُپْرإِاسِّر" as "salām fī yeč pīskaykar, jihād pā lā fī yeč opreʾesser"

I am slightly disappointed to find, however, that the section meant to be written in Qarshki appears to be written entirely in Persian
That’s the Ohiyyo dialect and it is nearly completely intelligible to Persian but uses more hard consonants. For example, the Persian name Shiraz becomes Syerradh with a rolling R.
We do sometimes use Roman and Cyrillic alphabet.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

Hello, everyone. I should mention about numerals (numbers) used in the Islamic Sultanate of Qarsherskiy by people who speak the Qarshkī language.
We use 3 numeral systems:
Classic Qarshkī: ٠١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩
Ohiyyo Dialect: ۰۱۲۳۴۵۶۷۸۹
Virginiyy Dialect: 0123456789
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Qarsherskiy wrote: 21 May 2023 19:48 We do sometimes use Roman and Cyrillic alphabet.
Would you mind posting the Roman and Cyrillic versions of the alphabet that they use alongside the Arabic version?
Just one time.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

I would be happy to do so, but I cannot right now as currently I am preparing for a massive clash with the neo-Nazis
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Qarsherskiy wrote: 21 May 2023 19:44You must be confused. Qarsherskiy is a place with 1,947 people.
your post says this:

Unread post by Qarsherskiy » Sun 21 May 2023, 19:44
Omariiyy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Omariiyy »

sangi39 wrote: 21 May 2023 20:48
Qarsherskiy wrote: 21 May 2023 19:48 We do sometimes use Roman and Cyrillic alphabet.
Would you mind posting the Roman and Cyrillic versions of the alphabet that they use alongside the Arabic version?
I have the Roman Version now.
b /b/
پ پ pe p /p/
ت ت te t /t̪/
ٹ ٹ ṭe ṭ /ʈ/
ث ث se s /s/
ج ج jīm j /d͡ʒ/
چ چ che ch /t͡ʃ/
ح ح baṛī he h /h/
خ خ khe kh /x/
د د dāl d /d̪/
ڈ ڈ ḍāl ḍ /ɖ/
ذ ذ zāl dh /z/
ر ر re r /r/
ڑ ڑ ṛe ṛ /ɽ/
ز ز ze z /z/
ژ ژ zhe zh /ʒ/
س س sīn s /s/
ش ش shīn sh /ʃ/
ص ص su'ād ṣ /s/
ض ض zu'ād z̤ /z/
ط ط to'e t /t/
ظ ظ zo'e ẓ /z/
ع ع ‘ain ' /ʔ/
غ غ ghain gh /ɣ/
ف ف fe f /f/
ق ق qāf q /q/
ک ک kāf k /k/
گ گ gāf g /ɡ/
ل ل lām l /l/
م م mīm m /m/
ن ن nūn n /n/
و و vā'o v, o, or ū /ʋ/, /oː/, /ɔ/ or /uː/
ہ, ﮩ, ﮨ ہ choṭī he h /h/
ھ ھ do chashmī he h /ʰ/
ء ء hamza ' /ʔ/
ی ی ye y, i /j/ or /iː/
ے ے bari ye ai or e /ɛː/, or /eː/
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

So I'm not sure what the last few posts are about, but may I remind you both of the House Rules, especially regarding being civil and no flaming/trolling

I suggest taking this off the Board, and sticking to the topic at hand

EDIT: Typically don't delete posts without a request from the user, but those last few posts didn't sit well with me at all, and just went straight into "breaking House Rule 1" territory out of nowhere, so for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic, and keeping discussion civil, I've deleted them
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Omariiyy wrote: 22 May 2023 15:32
sangi39 wrote: 21 May 2023 20:48
I have the Roman Version now.
b /b/
پ پ pe p /p/
ت ت te t /t̪/
ٹ ٹ ṭe ṭ /ʈ/
ث ث se s /s/
ج ج jīm j /d͡ʒ/
چ چ che ch /t͡ʃ/
ح ح baṛī he h /h/
خ خ khe kh /x/
د د dāl d /d̪/
ڈ ڈ ḍāl ḍ /ɖ/
ذ ذ zāl dh /z/
ر ر re r /r/
ڑ ڑ ṛe ṛ /ɽ/
ز ز ze z /z/
ژ ژ zhe zh /ʒ/
س س sīn s /s/
ش ش shīn sh /ʃ/
ص ص su'ād ṣ /s/
ض ض zu'ād z̤ /z/
ط ط to'e t /t/
ظ ظ zo'e ẓ /z/
ع ع ‘ain ' /ʔ/
غ غ ghain gh /ɣ/
ف ف fe f /f/
ق ق qāf q /q/
ک ک kāf k /k/
گ گ gāf g /ɡ/
ل ل lām l /l/
م م mīm m /m/
ن ن nūn n /n/
و و vā'o v, o, or ū /ʋ/, /oː/, /ɔ/ or /uː/
ہ, ﮩ, ﮨ ہ choṭī he h /h/
ھ ھ do chashmī he h /ʰ/
ء ء hamza ' /ʔ/
ی ی ye y, i /j/ or /iː/
ے ے bari ye ai or e /ɛː/, or /eː/
So this was copied straight from here (or a similar site that also used the exact same table), which, to be honest, leaves me a little less excited about the conlang. On the one hand, an entire section of text from the Wiki is just Persian, while this suggests that it's wholly Urdu (assuming the two of you are even talking about the same "conlang" at all)
Just one time.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

sangi39 wrote: 22 May 2023 23:32 So this was copied straight from here (or a similar site that also used the exact same table), which, to be honest, leaves me a little less excited about the conlang. On the one hand, an entire section of text from the Wiki is just Persian, while this suggests that it's wholly Urdu (assuming the two of you are even talking about the same "conlang" at all)
So this is basically like when Star Wars was claimed to have a conlang for one of its aliens -- and it was actually Quecha? I am saddened.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Keenir wrote: 22 May 2023 23:38
sangi39 wrote: 22 May 2023 23:32 So this was copied straight from here (or a similar site that also used the exact same table), which, to be honest, leaves me a little less excited about the conlang. On the one hand, an entire section of text from the Wiki is just Persian, while this suggests that it's wholly Urdu (assuming the two of you are even talking about the same "conlang" at all)
So this is basically like when Star Wars was claimed to have a conlang for one of its aliens -- and it was actually Quecha? I am saddened.
We'll see, I suppose. Like I said earlier, if this is meant to be the start of a serious conlang, then that's awesome, we all started somewhere, but right now there's nothing much that can be said about it, given what little information has been shared so far (and there's very little information about it on the wiki that's been provided either, which doesn't help much)

I have messaged Qarsherskiy and Omaariiyy as well about the recent posts because (as another user noted), there's a chance that the conlang might not be the main focus of this thread, and honestly I'd just like to get to the bottom of what's actually going on
Just one time.
Qarsherskiy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Qarsherskiy »

sangi39 wrote: 22 May 2023 16:53 So I'm not sure what the last few posts are about, but may I remind you both of the House Rules, especially regarding being civil and no flaming/trolling

I suggest taking this off the Board, and sticking to the topic at hand

EDIT: Typically don't delete posts without a request from the user, but those last few posts didn't sit well with me at all, and just went straight into "breaking House Rule 1" territory out of nowhere, so for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic, and keeping discussion civil, I've deleted them
Hello, there was no trolling. Not sure what flaming is. I will check the rules. What happened was a Shi'a Muslim who also lives in Qarsherskiy was doing research online and found this thread and was angry that I was mentioning different dialects because one of them is considered to be a "corruption" of the language by the Shiites. They created an account and tried to turn this into a debate center for discussing whether the Sunni or Shi'a stories from historical events were accurate. I told them this was a language forum and not for that so they tracked me down online using clues I provided in our discussion which allowed them to figure out which of the 1,967 citizens I am. They messaged me on Instagram and we ended up settling our differences and agreeing to cooperation together on this site.