Qarshkī Language/Каршкий/قارشكئ

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
sangi39

Re: Qarshkī Language/Каршкий/قارشكئ

Post by sangi39 »

Omariiyy wrote: 02 Jun 2023 15:42 Hello, yes, we are independent. The USA just doesn't recognize our claims, unfortunately. Please keep your disagreements and political agenda out of this
Oh nice! Wasn't sure we'd see you back after I deleted all of those posts between you and Qarsherskiy the other day. If it means more about Qarshki gets shared, then yay [:D] But, yes, generally a good idea to keep disagreements and fights off the Board as much as possible (as I explained in my post explaining why I made the decision to delete things a few days ago)

Omariiyy wrote: 02 Jun 2023 15:42 As for some unique letters and how they are used, we do have the letter Tkz which makes a sound like it starts with a T and shifts to a Z sound without a vowel in between and is followed up with "ak" so it is pronounced "Tzakh" and rhymes with "Zach" like the name. It is used on the end of a word to describe it as warm, hot, or fresh. For example, Chaytzk means the tea is hot off the brewery or still fresh. Chay is one word that just means regular tea.
Is "tkz" one of the unique letters that Qarsherskiy mentioned the other day? If so, which one? If not, how is this particular sound transcribed in the Arabic version of the scipt? And what are the other unique letters meant to represent (as a follow-up to Keenir's question)?

Omariiyy wrote: 02 Jun 2023 15:42 Neither of us are linguistic experts so please excuse me and my fellow countrymen's inability to explain these things better.
That's more than fair. We all started out as non-linguists (I would even say that as far as "experts" go, we've probably got, what, one or two actually qualified linguists on the Board, with most of us just being self-taught enthusiasts at best, who've just picked up what we have by reading and trying things out more than anything). No-one should expect, straight off the bat, incredibly detailed analyses, but even basic descriptions (like the one you proved about "tkz") are more than welcomed
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I feel like the 1900+ people of this micronation do not actually speak this language as it seems to be quite a work in progress. Or, at least, it doesn't sound like it's been organically developed.
Omariiyy wrote: 02 Jun 2023 15:42Neither of us are linguistic experts so please excuse me and my fellow countrymen's inability to explain these things better.
It will be of great service to you to become more familiar with the International Phonetic Aplabet. Not just for the symbols but also for how consonants and vowels are scientifically described; concepts like "place of articulation" and "manner of articulation".

Given your description "tkz" could be either:
  • /t͡sak/ (a voiceless alveolar affricate followed by an open vowel followed by a voiceless velar stop; an entire syllable)
  • /t͡sk/ (like above but without a vowel; a simple consonant cluster)
  • /t͡sˠ/ (a velarized voiceless alveolar affricate)
  • /ᵏǀ/ (a dental click, which is often described as a "tsk" sound in English)
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Omariiyy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Omariiyy »

Ahzoh wrote: 10 Jun 2023 01:14 I feel like the 1900+ people of this micronation do not actually speak this language as it seems to be quite a work in progress. Or, at least, it doesn't sound like it's been organically developed.
Omariiyy wrote: 02 Jun 2023 15:42Neither of us are linguistic experts so please excuse me and my fellow countrymen's inability to explain these things better.
It will be of great service to you to become more familiar with the International Phonetic Aplabet. Not just for the symbols but also for how consonants and vowels are scientifically described; concepts like "place of articulation" and "manner of articulation".

• /t͡sak/ (a voiceless alveolar affricate followed by an open vowel followed by a voiceless velar stop; an entire syllable)
Most people in Qarsherskiy know some Qarshkī words and atleast half of the population here does speak Qarshkī. Let me tell you about a unique word in the Qarshkī language:
"قمرطريق"
Or, “QamarTareq” in the English transliteration.
It is a compound word (I think) from the Arabic words for “moon” and “streets” and this word, QamarTareq, is a common practice in the Islamic Sultanate of Qarsherskiy in which people come outside at late hours of the night and take walks in suburban or city streets and observe glowing lights from things like the moon, people’s porch lights, light pollution illuminating the sky, or streetlights. This practice was started in April of 2023 when Shi’a Muslims like myself who were trying to recreate a nostalgic feeling. You see, Shi’a Muslims may visit shrines in the Shi’a region of the world (Iran and Southern Iraq) where Persian and Arab Shi’a visit famous shrines and mosques for our heroes in our history. At night, we see the bright glowing lights all over them, seeing the photos on Google doesn’t describe this well enough, you’d have to see it in person to know that lovely feeling of seeing these buildings in the dry, cool desert night after a long day in the hot sun eating Iraqs authentic crépes. This feeling can best be created by going for walks WAY late at night in Christian neighborhoods during December and looking at their holiday decorations. Some linguistic theorists I talked to say the term was coined after a major discussion in April 2023 when many of our leaders entered a livestream and talked about taking the pilgrimage to Arbaeen and seeing the shrines in Iraq which led to people participating in the QamarTareq late-night outings in an attempt to cure depression people suffer due to not being able to go back to those lovely night during their trip to the Middle East. A nickname for Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as), the Shi’as leader after prophet Muhammad ﷺ died, is Qamar Allah, meaning “God’s moon,” and many linguistic experts thing that a combination of walking at night under the moon and thinking about Ali (as) led to the first people coming up with the term “QamarTareq.”
Omariiyy
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Omariiyy »

Ahzoh wrote: 10 Jun 2023 01:14 I feel like the 1900+ people of this micronation do not actually speak this language as it seems to be quite a work in progress. Or, at least, it doesn't sound like it's been organically developed.

I will try but that is not something I am personally very knowledgeable about, unfortunately.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Omariiyy wrote: 15 Jun 2023 02:48I will try but that is not something I am personally very knowledgeable about, unfortunately.
Here is a resource with sound clips.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Omariiyy wrote: 15 Jun 2023 02:47 Most people in Qarsherskiy know some Qarshkī words and atleast half of the population here does speak Qarshkī.
What if Qarshkī is actually a relex (under conlangs and jargon section) or creole/pidgin?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]