How does one go back to college as a 30-something in the US?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Man in Space
roman
roman

How does one go back to college as a 30-something in the US?

Post by Man in Space »

I can’t deal with banking/finance/AML anymore.

What do I do to go back?
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: How does one go back to college as a 30-something in the US?

Post by eldin raigmore »

I did it. I can’t say I was very successful. I also can’t say I can tell anyone how to do it.
For me, the problem was not so much the course-work; instead, it was that I had forgotten how to be a sophomore!
Edit: OTOH I was glad I did it. The campus was nice. Classes and labs were more fun than work.
[edit2]My experience is 40 years out of date, anyway! [/edit2]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Man in Space wrote: 10 Nov 2023 00:14 I can’t deal with banking/finance/AML anymore.

What do I do to go back?
What do you want to do when you grow up? [xD]

Do you already have a degree? What level are you looking to start out as?

Some things to think about ... are you looking for a new career path kind of thing (like engineering or biochemistry), or a trade (like plumbing), or a technical profession (like radiology tech)? Are you looking for a traditional situation or distance learning; uni or community college? How important are the politics of the university to you? Are you looking for a particular religious / philosophical or secular institution? Do you have any ethnic preferences?

Really, the long and short of it is, go to a college website. Click on "Admissions". Fill out the form and pay the fee. A lot of schools I looked at use a system called Common App, which allows you to search for schools based on your needs and preferences.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

eldin raigmore wrote: 10 Nov 2023 22:30 I did it. I can’t say I was very successful. I also can’t say I can tell anyone how to do it.
For me, the problem was not so much the course-work; instead, it was that I had forgotten how to be a sophomore!
Edit: OTOH I was glad I did it. The campus was nice. Classes and labs were more fun than work.
[edit2]My experience is 40 years out of date, anyway! [/edit2]
That reassures.
elemtilas wrote: 11 Nov 2023 13:21What do you want to do when you grow up? [xD]
Filmmaking.
elemtilas wrote: 11 Nov 2023 13:21Do you already have a degree? What level are you looking to start out as?
I have a Bachelor’s in linguistics.
elemtilas wrote: 11 Nov 2023 13:21Some things to think about ... are you looking for a new career path kind of thing (like engineering or biochemistry), or a trade (like plumbing), or a technical profession (like radiology tech)? Are you looking for a traditional situation or distance learning; uni or community college? How important are the politics of the university to you? Are you looking for a particular religious / philosophical or secular institution? Do you have any ethnic preferences?
The first, on-prem, as long as they do not burn me at the stake for heresy, probably secular because evangelical films by and large suck, wtf?.
elemtilas wrote: 11 Nov 2023 13:21Really, the long and short of it is, go to a college website. Click on "Admissions". Fill out the form and pay the fee. A lot of schools I looked at use a system called Common App, which allows you to search for schools based on your needs and preferences.
I live in Eagle Land, and I assume Common App is a Eurosphere thing.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Do you just mean how to apply? You literally just apply. I went back to school at 31 after years languishing in a call center with my BA in Spanish (with a minor in Linguistics, of course :] ). Now I'm a data center administrator.

If you mean where do you get the money, I don't know. I'd suggest a community college. Those are cheaper, and that's what I did. You sometimes get what you pay for in terms of instructors. Adjuncts can be hit or miss. You can't just know the topic, you have to know how to teach. If you've already got a 4-year degree, you may not need to take a lot of the BS classes because you already did them.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Film making --- cool!

Is this a hobby of yours? I'd definitely recommend poking around Ebay and Goodwill for some interesting equipment, if you don't already have it!

As for your question, yeah, just go on Common App and apply! It's a US / Canadian thing, so no worries about applying to some school in rural Bulgaria!

Depending on your financial situation, you might consider looking into some kind of internship or PT work with a local tv station's studio crew or news camera crew. See if there are any local clubs or organisations that might put you in contact with that community; any local theaters or cultural centers that have A/V crews. And don't forget any online communities. I know Stack Exchange has some communities that might be of interest, and certainly Reddit will. You might be able to get some good tips on schools to look at seriously and those to avoid.