Rumor has it that English is the language of snake!

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Oligey
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Rumor has it that English is the language of snake!

Post by Oligey »

Ever thought about why English has so many "s" sounds?

There are already so many words containing "s", "se", "ce", "ds", "ts" and "tz", and to make it worst, nouns in plural must end with "s", verbs in third person singular form must end with "s" as well.

As as result the whole lang is endless sssssssssssss.
Everytime I listen to someone speaking English, I hear a snake hissing if I close my eyes, or using a fork to scratch a pot.

Damn it! Why are you like this, English???
You are breaking so many native speakers' dream!
No one ever told them that you are this bad throughout their whole life, not even after they have been linguists for 20 years!
That is so sad...
Visions1
greek
greek

Re: Rumor has it that English is the language of snake!

Post by Visions1 »

Did you know that Chinese people name their kids by throwing a metal pot down the stairs.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Oligey wrote: 01 Jan 2024 17:31 Ever thought about why English has so many "s" sounds?

There are already so many words containing "s", "se", "ce", "ds", "ts" and "tz", and to make it worst, nouns in plural must end with "s", verbs in third person singular form must end with "s" as well.

As as result the whole lang is endless sssssssssssss.
Everytime I listen to someone speaking English, I hear a snake hissing if I close my eyes, or using a fork to scratch a pot.

Damn it! Why are you like this, English???
You are breaking so many native speakers' dream!
No one ever told them that you are this bad throughout their whole life, not even after they have been linguists for 20 years!
That is so sad...
Mandarin has more "s" sounds than English... also alveolar sounds are the most stable/distinctive, and thus most common.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Right, failing to follow comments made here, and the tone of the OP, I'm locking this thread

Visions1 wrote: 01 Jan 2024 18:34 Did you know that Chinese people name their kids by throwing a metal pot down the stairs.
Informal note: Don't feed the trolls, and don't make inappropriate comments. I know it's frustrating when one person comes along and starts acting up, but this wasn't the correct response
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.