How could I explain most of the abilities of the Dehanatis Double Sword semi-scientifically?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
GodzillaLouise
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

How could I explain most of the abilities of the Dehanatis Double Sword semi-scientifically?

Post by GodzillaLouise »

The Dehanatis Double Sword is a dual-bladed sword used by Dehanatis, a villain character from my Ultraman/Godzilla fanfics. Now, when I say “semi-scientifically”, I have a feeling there’s no explaining some of this thing’s abilities unless we go way, way out there as far as what’s considered “scientific”.

Also, we’re not going into all of the Dehanatis Double Sword’s abilities: doing so would mean we’d be trying to come up with the science behind trans-spatiotemporal telepathy and bringing shadows to life for merely a few seconds.

Now for a list of abilities we will be looking at, we have:
—Heat Resistance (for several billions of years, this sword maintained its shape while stuck in the center of a high-energy object that reaches temperatures up to just under 2*10^10 Degrees Kelvin),
—Gravitational Pressure Resistance (for several billions of years, this sword withstood gravitational fields nearly as strong as those at the edge of the accretion disk of a black hole),
—Shapeshifting / Mode Change (the Dehanatis Double Sword has two modes, one where its handle remains the same size but its blades increase in size and even have the cross-guards combine into a ring-shaped structure),
—Force Field Generation (via being spun like a Bō staff),
——A continuous Energy Beam fired from a hemispherical Force Field,
—An Energy Absorbing Slash,
—and Rapid Energy Sphere Projectiles (via swinging at a target).

Honestly, I have no idea what any of the explanations for these abilities are going to be, so I’m sorry because I’ll be of no help beyond setting this up. This is basically just a way for me to brainstorm how this weapon works.

Anyway, given Dehanatis uses a unique form of energy in his attacks, for the sake of the question, anytime you’re dealing with ‘energy’ or ‘force fields’, just assume that the energy’s a mix of heat, electricity, and radiation.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: How could I explain most of the abilities of the Dehanatis Double Sword semi-scientifically?

Post by Salmoneus »

Dude, it's a magic sword from beyond the dawn of time. It's not scientific. It's not even physically realistic as a sword, because swords don't have two blades, because that would be a stupid idea with no actual benefits and lots of disadvantages. It's not a coincidence that the whole of human history across the planet has invented hundreds or thousands of types of sword, but has never invented a two-bladed sword because... why would anyone ever want one!? You're doubling the weight for the same reach and striking power, and in the process you're restricting your movement immensely because your chief concern becomes not cutting your own bowels out.

[there are spears and staffs and polearms with small blades at the back, but that's a different thing, and even then that's uncommon (spikes are more common)]

Two-bladed swords exist solely in the realms of cartoons and cartoon-style video games, where they are justified by "it looks cool" for an audience of children who aren't going to question it any further.

And that's fine. There's totally a place for children's cartoons.

But "because it looks cool!!!!!" and "because of these serious scientific reasons" aren't really compatible as ways of building a conworld. The attempt to combine them always looks clunky and just calls attention to problems rather than glossing them over.

So I suggest you pick either one approach or the other. Just my advice.
GodzillaLouise
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: How could I explain most of the abilities of the Dehanatis Double Sword semi-scientifically?

Post by GodzillaLouise »

Salmoneus wrote: 17 Feb 2024 14:11 It's not even physically realistic as a sword, because swords don't have two blades, because that would be a stupid idea with no actual benefits and lots of disadvantages. It's not a coincidence that the whole of human history across the planet has invented hundreds or thousands of types of sword, but has never invented a two-bladed sword because... why would anyone ever want one!? You're doubling the weight for the same reach and striking power, and in the process you're restricting your movement immensely because your chief concern becomes not cutting your own bowels out.
I know where you’re coming from, but if you have a properly made double bladed sword, then it’s more of a polearm than it is a sword: there has been extensive research and testing done by Weapons Enthusiasts (people like the hosts of the YouTube channels Shadiversity and Skallagrim) that show that if you give one a handle that’s twice as long as the single-bladed equivalent for one of the blades, you can use a double-bladed sword very effectively via fighting with it like a polearm. The Dehanatis Double Sword is designed after this rule.
GodzillaLouise
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GodzillaLouise »

Anyway, ignoring the debate of whether or not a double-bladed sword is an effective form of melee weapon, I do still want help with this.

That said, I have put some more thought into this since last night: instead of focusing on most of the abilities, we will only be focusing on certain abilities, particularly the last four I listed previously. Additionally, in case the descriptions I gave previously weren’t sufficient, here’s a doc with both the design of the sword’s base form/‘mode’ and some potentially better descriptions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kl ... 58P0g/edit

Now, for where the energy comes from on the sword, I’ve decided that the orange gems in the middle of the crossguards and the medium-purple, upwards-pointing V/Y-shaped part of the crossguards are collectively the energy source/power generator part of the weapon.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Project Rho might be of interest to you. It goes through various sci-fi concepts (especially as they relate to space), how they've been implemented in stories, and possible scientific explanations (if any there be).

I'll start with the force fields. As far as I know, force fields are purely fiction, so any explanation for how they work is always going to be implausible. Here's Project Rho's force field section for further reading. Given that information, I'd say the energy beam is trivial to justify; if you have the technology to shape energy into a shield — which isn't possible in the first place — you can certainly shape it into a laser.

I don't know how to justify the energy-draining attack. But I think the fact that the blade energizes beforehand makes a justification harder. Basic entropy causes energy to flow down a gradient, so any energy flow from the target into the blade would be lessened, or reversed, with the blade energized. For comparison, an ordinary, real-life sword can perform an "energy absorbing slash". If you take a room-temperature sword and strike a person, a small amount of thermal energy will transfer from the person into the sword. But if you heat the blade enough, the effect will reverse, and the person will be burned as well as cut.