XIPA. IPA Inputter & Interactive X-SAMPA to IPA Converter
XIPA is a tool for inputting IPA characters. This is done either by clicking the IPA icons at the top of the page, or by typing X-SAMPA in the bottom field. You can choose to hide the IPA icons and/or the X-SAMPA input field by clicking their toggle buttons below the last field. There is also a toggle button to show superscript IPA characters, which are hidden by default.
To enable X-SAMPA users to convert to the IPA without limitations, or just to make some things easier, XIPA uses some additional notations that are not standard in X-SAMPA:
- The combination b\ gives the labial flap ⱱ.
- Round brackets ) ( are used for tie above and tie below, respectively. They are placed between the adjoining letters; e.g. t)s gives t͡s.
- A backslash \ is used to move diacritics to a non-default position; e.g. m_0 gives m̥ while m_0\ gives m̊.
- A backslash \ is also used to turn tone diacritics into Chao letters; e.g. a_H gives á while a_H\ gives a˦.
- A plus sign + is used to trigger superscript characters; e.g. b+h\ gives bʱ.
- The combination _f marks a whistled sound, e.g. s_f gives s͎.
- The combination _J creates alveolo-palatal characters, e.g. t_J gives ȶ. (With the exception of ɕ and ʑ, alveolo-palatal characters are non-IPA.)
- The combination g\ gives the opentail letter g. The difference is however not visible in XIPA's default font.
- The following combinations exist in XIPA in addition to their standard notation in X-SAMPA:
- p_! gives the labial click ʘ (standard O\).
- t_! gives the dental click ǀ (standard |\).
- t`_! gives the (post)alveolar click ǃ (standard !\).
- c_! gives the palatoalveolar click ǂ (standard =\).
- l_! gives the alveolar lateral click ǁ (standard |\|\).
- i\ gives the close central unrounded vowel ɨ (standard 1).
- u\ gives the close central rounded vowel ʉ (standard }).
- _ˋ gives the retroflex marker ˞ (standard ˋ).
Known issues [show/hide]
- Typing the X-Sampa retroflex marker ˋ after a letter that it doesn't merge with will bug the previous letter. To avoid this use _ˋ instead; e.g. Aˋ gives A˞, A_ˋ gives desired ɑ˞.
- Updated information and added 'Known issues' and 'Log' tabs.
- Added _ˋ as an additional way to get the retroflex marker ˞.
Made by Aevas & Co. April 2020.
Updated October 2020.