Analysis swap : ŋɡitɕ

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

Analysis swap : ŋɡitɕ

Post by UnbiasedBrigade »

So yeah, these are the same rules as the other analysis swaps. In this one, the language provides an interesting twist : it's a future (a few hundred years) descendant of English, so if you so try to talk to them in English, they will try to interrupted it in their language, but it won't really end up being understood perfectly, since there's been quite a bit of language changes since (and slightly before, but not much) the present day. They also have some moderate sci-fi going on, naturally; no FTL, but there are large, sprawling, permanent colonies on Mars, and some huge magnets have been created in space out of asteroids, and are being positioned around Mars to try making an artificial magnetosphere around the planet. Europa does indeed have life, but it's not mostly just equivalents to earth water animals, with a few exceptions which are probably irrelevant here. So far, that's the only alien planet with proven alien life. A few missions were sent to the surrounding star systems, and none of the ones we've studied so far have life. There are research stations there sorta like the ones in Antarctica irl. Anyways, none of this matters directly, since you're on Earth, in the USA.
er... the remnants of the USA; it collapsed, and a group of states upheld the title, but more as an EU-like group; the major countries left are (modern names) Florida, New England, Texas, the New Empire (New York), the South, Greater Virginia, Greater Michigan, Dakota, and California. Some other states also excuse so, but they aren't as notable, plus there areva few expanded Native American nations.
Naturally, border changes and name changes have happened, but these are rough modern ancestors of those countries. You're in a suburb in the northern part of the New Empire, near the border with Quebec and Canada. There are woods not too far from you, but a city just an hour's drive from here; the nearest spaceport is about a 6-hour drive from here. I'll make a map and send it if you want.
Global warming isn't as worrisome anymore; we have lost 1.4m to sea level increase so far, but greenhouse emissions have been cut on earth (we're doing them on purpose on Mars to help with warming it up, but there is also green technology for those of us on Earth), so it shouldn't rise more than 0.2 m for the next hundred years. Stable fusion reactors were one of the great advances of the late 21st century, but greenhouse emissions didn't get cut completely until the Emissions Act of 2135, 112 years ago.

... I probably didn't need to make that big of a lore-dump, but eh, it'll be useful info; might make a topic for this world sometime.

Anyways, back to the main point : analysis swap !
So, who wants to participate ?
Plíntjægjes śopa plipsjä!

Unbiased, Unbia, Akkarahi, Kai, Eqole, Taal, Hatsil... I have many names

she/her
TBPO
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Analysis swap : ŋɡitɕ

Post by TBPO »

I want.
Flavia
greek
greek

Post by Flavia »

I'll participate too, when I'm finished with my exams in a couple days!
XIPA
Abaniscen cancasirnemor!
she/her
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

I'd love to be part of this! Where in the remnants of the USA are we?

Edit: Oh, are we doing monolingual or do they speak English too?
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage
areyaxi family, alushi, ǫǫ (active)
2c2ef0, arskiilz, kahóra (inactive)
xúuuatxia family, njabad (tenuous)

she/her
Flavia
greek
greek

Post by Flavia »

Arayaz wrote: 26 May 2024 17:58 I'd love to be part of this! Where in the remnants of the USA are we?
UnbiasedBrigade wrote: 26 May 2024 13:42 You're in a suburb in the northern part of the New Empire, near the border with Quebec and Canada.
XIPA
Abaniscen cancasirnemor!
she/her
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Flavia wrote: 26 May 2024 17:59
Arayaz wrote: 26 May 2024 17:58 I'd love to be part of this! Where in the remnants of the USA are we?
UnbiasedBrigade wrote: 26 May 2024 13:42 You're in a suburb in the northern part of the New Empire, near the border with Quebec and Canada.
Oh, oops. Somehow I missed that.
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage

she/her
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

Okay, here's a map of the former USA:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1027345290/

Note that this is a map at the formation of the American Union, and that, while most of the constituents' borders are unchanged since then, some slight modifications have been made. Within the group, there are 3 main factions, with the major nations in each being
- Greater Washington, California, and the New Empire
- Navajo, Michigan, Virginia, and New England
- Texas, Dakota, and the South

Each of these had had various minor states (usually nearby ones, but occasionally not) allied to them. The alliance map is the second slide. These are still the rough political divisions of the AU, but are no longer strictly alliances against eachother (though sentiments against other factions still exist in many areas).

The third slide shows your current location, and the fourth is the linguistic map.

she/her
GoshDiggityDangit
greek
greek

Post by GoshDiggityDangit »

I unearth myself, and flag down a passerby.
Hey! Where can I get a drink?
“Like billowing clouds, Like the incessant gurgle of the brook,
The longing of the spirit can never be stilled.” ― St. Hildegard von Bingen
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

GoshDiggityDangit wrote: 27 May 2024 04:58 I unearth myself, and flag down a passerby.
Hey! Where can I get a drink?
Spoiler:
(mind that, this is a phoneticised version of the in-world spelling, since the actual spellings would be even easier to get the Modern English from)
The person walks over to you, and says:
Eel! Oo aarue, ayonn ue tseen wis tong? Cyolfolleen aarue? Ue ayossaeng foel oching? *clicks his tongue disapprovingly* Opoels lekue choetaf koettenna skaelos; wee ennogwaf osaep, bottoen chings. Seels koet ossoelann choon vleel.
*He starts walking a specific direction, indicating for you to follow him*
Spoiler:
I wonder how intelligible that is to a modern English speaker. Also, I realise now that this language is quite lacking in semantic drift...

she/her
TBPO
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by TBPO »

I say Ummm... What?
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Spoiler:
Can we get IPA, please? As it is, I don't know whether to read, say, <ee> as [eː] or [.i], for example.
I slip out of the fold of the multiverse and act as if I've been there all along. "Eel," I say, guessing that it was a greeting due to its position in the utterance, and perhaps due to its resemblance to a greeting in another language I knew spoken in a place oddly similar to this one.

my garbage

she/her
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

Spoiler:
Yeah, I'll just use the IPA from now on, meaning the sentence in responce becomes (with some minor corrections):
i:l! u: a:ly, æjɔn: y: tsi:n wes tɔŋ? cɔlfɔl:i:n a:ly? y: ajɔs:eŋ fo:l ɔtʃeŋ? *clicks his tongue disapprovingly* ɔpo:ls læky: tʃo:tæf kɔnen:a ske:lɔs; wi: en:ɔgwaf ɔse:p, bɔto:n tʃeŋs. si:ls ko:t ɔsso:lan: tʃun vli:l.

she/her
TBPO
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by TBPO »

What are a sound changes from English?
Flavia
greek
greek

Post by Flavia »

TBPO wrote: 28 May 2024 08:44 What are a sound changes from English?
We're not supposed to know that. The point of the analysis swap is that we should have minimal knowledge of the language and infer everything from the conversation.
XIPA
Abaniscen cancasirnemor!
she/her
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

Flavia wrote: 28 May 2024 10:32
TBPO wrote: 28 May 2024 08:44 What are a sound changes from English?
We're not supposed to know that. The point of the analysis swap is that we should have minimal knowledge of the language and infer everything from the conversation.
elæjɔ, ves
(Yeah, this; ooh, you ɡet two extra words for free!)

she/her
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

Arayaz wrote: 27 May 2024 18:44 I slip out of the fold of the multiverse and act as if I've been there all along. "Eel," I say, guessing that it was a greeting due to its position in the utterance, and perhaps due to its resemblance to a greeting in another language I knew spoken in a place oddly similar to this one.
Eel lue, ayoe yol neem? Ae dollekonaez ue.
i:l ly, æjo: jol ni:m? e: dol:ekɔne:z y.

she/her
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

UnbiasedBrigade wrote: 28 May 2024 16:22
Arayaz wrote: 27 May 2024 18:44 I slip out of the fold of the multiverse and act as if I've been there all along. "Eel," I say, guessing that it was a greeting due to its position in the utterance, and perhaps due to its resemblance to a greeting in another language I knew spoken in a place oddly similar to this one.
Eel lue, ayoe yol neem? Ae dollekonaez ue.
i:l ly, æjo: jol ni:m? e: dol:ekɔne:z y.
Spoiler:
i:l ly
hello ???
"Hello to you too," maybe?

æjo: jol ni:m
??? your? name?
"What's your name?"

e: dol:ekɔne:z y
1SG? [a name]? am?
"I'm dol:ekɔne:z."

Looks like *r → l (in jol) and *ai → eː (in e:), but *ei → iː (in ni:m)
"e: ɑlɑjɑz y," I try.

my garbage

she/her
TBPO
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by TBPO »

I say iːl, evɹɪwən! aɪɫː dʒɹeŋ kɔɫf, wɔɾ ɪʊɫː dʒɹeŋ?
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

Arayaz wrote: 28 May 2024 21:05 "e: ɑlɑjɑz y," I try.
Aa, yolaal Ayaz. Mae neem Choenos (oel, nozoolts, ae ajomChoenos). Paezee, eel wee sejaz "Ae ajom-neem", laek obet ue sajoenoolz.
aː, jɔlaːl ajaz. meː niːm tʃoːnɔs (oːl, nɔzoːlts, eː æjɔmtʃoːnɔs). Peːziː, iːl wiː sejæz "eː æjɔm-niːm", leːk ɔbet y sæjoːnulz

she/her
UnbiasedBrigade
rupestrian
rupestrian

TBPO wrote: 28 May 2024 21:39 I say iːl, evɹɪwən! aɪɫː dʒɹeŋ kɔɫf, wɔɾ ɪʊɫː dʒɹeŋ?
*he looks utterly bewildered by this sentence.*
Wes tonɡ ue tseen? Ae chosseek en Nɡich ayon Kebeɡua. Aemmot wonnoes cleezee poelsons, oo noes soell tonɡ oel sotonɡs ofozool sseets.
wes tɔnɡ y tsiːn? eː chɔsːiːk en ŋitʃ æjɔn kebeɡʷa. eːmːɔt wɔnːoːs kliːziː poːlsɔns, u noːs soːlː tɔŋ oːl sɔtɔŋs ɔvɔzul sːiːts.

she/her