Tales from Rodentèrra

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Tales from Rodentèrra

Post by Lao Kou »

elemtilas wrote:toot sweet!
A fun song in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and a bilingual play on words that I didn't get until, like, just now! Facepalm -- durrr! [:x] [:$]
elemtilas wrote:I'd still love to see such a beast in the wild...
Such a beast in the wild is a four-way screen of unmanageable banshee-screaming heads on your cable news network.

Heightened conversation, in evening wear, with pocket ashtrays and little glasses of digestive sherry, is so much more where I should like to see this going, hm? [;)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lao Kou wrote:
elemtilas wrote:toot sweet!
A fun song in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and a bilingual play on words that I didn't get until, like, just now! Facepalm -- durrr! [:x] [:$]
elemtilas wrote:I'd still love to see such a beast in the wild...
Such a beast in the wild is a four-way screen of unmanageable banshee-screaming heads on your cable news network.

Heightened conversation, in evening wear, with pocket ashtrays and little glasses of digestive sherry, is so much more where I should like to see this going, hm? [;)]
We can't have our dainty and eat it too? [o.O]

Oh, well... [¬.¬]

...pass the sherry, luv.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

[info] Rodentèrra is currently being re-written. [info]

Here is the current state of things:
  • Four habitable planets orbit around a sun-like star (about 20% larger than ours), in a solar system of 12 planets.
  • Four genera of (yet partially) unspecified species have been exported into space, each made a planet their home, gained human-level sentience and developed societies at exactly the same level, in a timeline going about 16 million years from present: Avians, Rodents, Canines, Felines
  • The planets have their own, native fauna, which hasn't progressed far into sapience, didn't evolve past marsupials (we have thylacines (feral and domesticated) and platypus cheese).
  • Interplanetary travel is common, but rather expensive.
  • Tech level: Rodentèrran aesthetics are somewhere in the 90s, the tech level is mid-late 2000s. The Intel processor path was skipped at the Pentium stage. Instead, Imagine all this in one. No smartphones yet.
  • No flying cars (at least on Rodentèrra)…
Edit: A few words regarding the timeline.
Éall woruld is bócfell, ǽlc of ús is án stǽr.
Re-imagining Rodentèrra, working on Úrageard.
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

Egerius wrote: 31 Jul 2024 23:24
  • Four habitable planets orbit around a sun-like star (about 20% larger than ours), in a solar system of 12 planets.
An 8 planet system is very rare, and a 9 planet system would be an anomaly. A 12 planet system is so unlikely as to be unrealistic.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

TBPO wrote: 07 Aug 2024 14:04
An 8 planet system is very rare, and a 9 planet system would be an anomaly. A 12 planet system is so unlikely as to be unrealistic.
And I don’t think a sun-like star could have more than two habitable planets.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

We don't know which kinds of planetary systems exist; the observation of extrasolar planets has revealed that there are many kinds of planetary systems unlike our own - hot Jupiters, super-Earths, and so on - so there seems nothing wrong to me with a system with 12 planets. Yet, four planets within the habitable zone of a Sun-like star is quite an amount - while we don't know how wide the habitable zone actually is (it of course depends on the question of which kind of organism - surely, extremophile organisms may thrive in a wider range of conditions than higher animals), but at least for higher animals like humans or Egerius's beastfolk, it is probably quite narrow, and there are perhaps more systems where it falls entirely within the gap between two planetary orbits (one planet is too hot, the next too cold) than ones with two planets within it (let alone four). A large gas giant within the habitable zone with four Earth-sized moons is perhaps a better bet if you want four habitable worlds within one planetary system.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

eldin raigmore wrote: 07 Aug 2024 16:05
And I don’t think a sun-like star could have more than two habitable planets.
A while back, I did some calculations for Khemehekis to put two habitable planets around one star. It was very unlikely, and felt contrived to me — four might be technically possible, but I would strongly, strongly advise against it.
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

soldier koi, made of grain, now an empty dell...

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Add a fifth habitable planet.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Suggestion:
Have a double-planet near the inner boundary of the habitable zone.
They could be Earth-sized or Venus-sized, and orbit each other.
As a couple, they would orbit your star.

Then, near the outer boundary of the habitable zone, have a gas giant with at least two habitable satellites between Venus-sized and Mars-sized.

That would give you four habitable bodies.

….

You could vary the details.

….

Anyway: Good luck!
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

TBPO wrote: 07 Aug 2024 14:04 An 8 planet system is very rare, and a 9 planet system would be an anomaly. A 12 planet system is so unlikely as to be unrealistic.
I'm a sucker for numbers divisible by 4, 8, or 16.
So I'll make it 16 just out of spite, got it.
According to this: https://astrobiology.nasa.gov/news/how- ... host-star/
... a solar system can have up to 7 habitable planets if the star is large and bright, and if there's no gas giants in the system.
WeepingElf wrote: 07 Aug 2024 16:27
However...
A large gas giant within the habitable zone with four Earth-sized moons is perhaps a better bet if you want four habitable worlds within one planetary system.
I didn't even think of this. Though I'd be afraid of the orbiting planet-moons taking a hit or two from asteroids...
Also Pluto was a planet until they demoted him in 2006, maybe Rodentèrra & Co. didn't get there yet with their own Hadesoids...
Éall woruld is bócfell, ǽlc of ús is án stǽr.
Re-imagining Rodentèrra, working on Úrageard.