What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Egerius »

Visions1 wrote: 20 Aug 2024 22:01 It wasn't you alone! [:D]
Ideally, it takes two people to start up a Ford model T: One who cranks, and one who adjusts the fuel-oxygen mixture.
The thread was the Ford. [:P]
Éall woruld is bócfell, ǽlc of ús is án stǽr.
Re-imagining Rodentèrra, working on Úrageard.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Egerius wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:51 Hand-cranked the The Multiverse Inn back to life. [:D]
Don't try to take all the credit. :wat:

Not that I contributed [xD]
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

soldier koi, made of grain, now an empty dell...

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
Visions1
roman
roman

Post by Visions1 »

I was kind of referring to Lurker. Nobody had posted there since him. And you, well, checked out.
So I said, "Bless it, it's on again, let's do something."
Visions1
roman
roman

Post by Visions1 »

Arayaz wrote: 20 Aug 2024 22:12 Not that I contributed [xD]
Yet.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Visions1 wrote: 20 Aug 2024 22:13
Yet.
Yes.
[}:D] Come on, join us. [}:D]
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Egerius wrote: 20 Aug 2024 22:35
Visions1 wrote: 20 Aug 2024 22:13
Yet.
Yes.
[}:D] Come on, join us. [}:D]
I would, but I don't have a character ... I still hope to at some time!
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
Visions1
roman
roman

Post by Visions1 »

Languages Mackenzie, you're on Tumblr. Make an OC! It's in your blood!
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Visions1 wrote: 20 Aug 2024 22:42 Languages Mackenzie, you're on Tumblr. Make an OC! It's in your blood!
[xD] [xD] [xD]

I actually do have an OC. I totally forgot about her! Thanks for indirectly reminding me!
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Visions1 wrote: 20 Aug 2024 22:42 Languages Mackenzie, you're on Tumblr. Make an OC! It's in your blood!
This somehow has the same feeling for me as if your parent yelled your full name. [O.O]
(Now all we have to do is wait...)
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Egerius wrote: 21 Aug 2024 07:07
This somehow has the same feeling for me as if your parent yelled your full name. [O.O]
[xD] [xD] [xD]

Very, very true.
Egerius wrote: 21 Aug 2024 07:07 (Now all we have to do is wait...)
(... and wait ... and wait ...)
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

I published Tasim on CBB and reached 145 or 146 words.
Edit: I just discovered that I love reviving abadoned threads.
:poland: [:D] :england: [:)] German* [:(]
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Egerius wrote: 21 Aug 2024 07:07
(Now all we have to do is wait...)
"Dennis Roger Mitchell!"

"She used all three of my names! I must be in trouble!"
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: Now at 100,209 words!

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Made a wiki page on Linguifex for Mariupol Gothic (Modern Crimean Gothic)

https://linguifex.com/wiki/Mariupol_Gothic

Genuinely enjoyed researching and writing up a plausible history for them. The rest of this though was backported from my defunct old wiki on Miraheze that I had to use Waybackmachine to access.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Nel Fie
sinic
sinic

Post by Nel Fie »

I've been fleshing out a template for the IPA for my sound changer (or one version of the IPA, anyhow), which is more data entry than programming, but in the progress of doing this it occurred to me that it would be useful to have a tool to create segments/diacritics/classes by iterating through permutations of symbols and features, so I started on that.

It's not fully implemented yet, but the idea is that you can provide data as such:

Symbols : b,p,d,t,g,k
Shared features : Plosive,Non-syllabic
Permutative features 0 : Bilabial,Alveolar,Velar,
Permutative features 1 : Voiced, Voiceless

And then with a click on an "Add" button, it will automatically add segments by permutating everything to the following result:

b [Plosive,Non-syllabic,Bilabial,Voiced]
p [Plosive,Non-syllabic,Bilabial,Voiceless]
d [Plosive,Non-syllabic,Alveolar,Voiced]
t [Plosive,Non-syllabic,Alveolar,Voiceless]
g [Plosive,Non-syllabic,Velar,Voiced]
k [Plosive,Non-syllabic,Velar,Voiceless]

This should make creating and editing phonological transcription systems much faster. I also have ideas for other tools, but we'll see how much is needed.

EDIT: Post #200, huzzah.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner | (DGS) Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Added a new section to my Kankonian grammar: plays. Got my grammar up to 162 pages!

In Kankonian, the first thing written at the beginning of a play or screenplay is the title (and subtitle if any), followed by the name of the playwright/librettist; in an opera/musical this will be followed by the names of the lyricist, the composer, and the choreographer. The cast of characters will then follow, with the tyashus (or species), gender, and age of each character. In an opera, musical, the names of each song, along with who sings it, will be listed; the lyricist and composer are also named if who the lyricist was and who the composer was are not the same for every song in the play.

The setting is mentioned at the beginning of each scene, with the characters present. In Act I, Scene 1, the town or community in which the play takes place will be described at the beginning. When a new character enters the scene, "X e*ass" (Enter X) will be on its own line. "X dugakas" (Exit X) or "X mui Y dugakas" (Exeunt X and Y) is used when one or more characters leave. At the end of a scene (or play), "Halite datias khesti" (Exeunt omnes) may be used.

The number of each act is written at the beginning of the act on its own line, usually justified at the middle of the line: "Shieng zash 4 (Act 4)", with the name of each scene within the act written written at the beginning of the scene on its own line: "Shieng zash 4, Paplos zash 3 (Act IV, Scene 3)".

In a spoken (or sung) line, the name of the character who speaks (or sings) is on its own line, indented by one space, followed immediately by the line or lines, not indented.

Every time a new character is introduced, a paragraph (without a speaker tag will be given introducing the character's full name, with a physical and sartorial description and an introduction of her or his role in the play ("Sarkan is the CEO of Sase Intergalactic, a storage container company").

Actions done by a character, as opposed to spoken lines, will be in their own paragraphs, without an indented speaker tag. The name of the character doing such will be specified.

A wrylie is called a nasar oel karol (line without speeci) in Kankonian. Wrylies are listed in a line before the speaker's name, marked as a brief sentence like "Nafisha is smirking" or "Zara says this shyly" or "Adran is smoking a cigar".

This is what the first scene in a play would look like:

______________________Shieng zash 1

Shieng zash 1, Paplos zash 1

Ham paplos e komi er kokti na Dzhusinda, er *uthis zash Nekaktel*uthis. Nekaktel*uthis as *uthis nabuk az as hi shege*i de *uthis storm am lem shege*i ad *ass id halis dyu halis. Tzenorethes tzimbano mui goluges mui bupizades mui dakas mui khotzafes kmetekas seshario, hel kogodyum ina mui argas dzhamerias er dulaf na kelikes.

Wanzas as lei er thedefar na kokti na Saze Pelekh Dzhusinda zash piva hel khatal blan mui oimones kran mui argas sretemes karak; Dzhusinda eshampass wanzas bokopsi er ham oyezyes. Dzhusinda envwetzas sabelana kran mui engumas lutesas bupra. Muye e kumes Roho Hashyass Danny zash bein hel paulp karak mui oimones blan mui khatal poikhyar fubul nephus markuzi kiul mui oblatz mui shupates mui kampadzhiyes az as meshi ad Dzhusinda; mui emiemihelemas zash Ifze Golifan Garda ad Dzhusinda az as mopiga tzmofuz mui robeil hel khatal kar mui oimones santz mui *ine karak shil phroihu az enbadas ftiboftibo mui famoar shurfrizhan mui bomires wowumnapinu as.

_DZHUSINDA
Mei, zha Ememem Garda, ham Danny *aizien apashap naphet blat; is as pamba az ar blemen ham.

Danny hesias kend we
_DANNY
So, *uth na is kapilizen mos apashap na pairath. Trayen ai yavirilizen ham.

Garda as waudar.
_GARDA
Owa, hwa ham as rushuri! Ar, zash Danny, as bein rago.

Danny dashunas kumes mui irkomas pumas na wan pai zaidas na wan mos basedas fas ad oyez.

_DANNY
E azitz dyu nyezes os en houmans ham adaten. Is en parai shahan mui oor. Kmoboph id *uth na is en adaz en azitz.

Garda ayas apsithiizen kimoret na wan ad shpad na wan.
_GARDA
Ham as oorfask!

Lidlad asizas. Dzhusinda bayas mui emas houmil meya az asen lidlad as. Piva duagas kutshus.

Zach e*ass.

Apas Nuroupo Zach as bein hel *ine blan mui sheraza mui oimones wowum mui khetekes az envwetzas soma hilis mui lashela mui engumas tzatakas karak ad helhes-hudupon mui engi*ebas niyas. Wan as sayupbein tri spel ad Dzhusinda mui zhegulas hous e hes-huduponis hasp.

_DZHUSINDA
Blatzet venit we, zha Zach! Zha Zach, ham as emiemihelemas zash Ifze Golifan Garda.

_ZACH
Hai, is as Apas Nuroupo Zach.

(Garda payoas egrar we.)
_GARDA
Zach . . . Zach . . . Zach . . . iri is hulisen ham esit? Haum, Zach az hous Dzhusinda emiyainas, hel hes-hudupon, isnaloshas.

_ZACH
So.

_GARDA
Mei Zach, emiyait ad is hous houmas ar inen pmois helhes-hudupon.

_ZACH
Is helhuduponenas ran is shtaen sem oiras mui helhes-huduponenas ran is shtaen zanem oiras. Ham as dash ab kehis.

_GARDA
Dani wa!

_DANNY
Is os fuiras helhes-hudupon. Lem zanzed muyoor, rauess.

_DZHUSINDA
Ar ien oyez ham ehem ham retshiya hous pairath, wirhauess.

_DANNY
Is dandas so. Yude --

Zazhidi na Danny zenzas. Bein gasias wan.

_DANNY
Meya as zhered re mamiz ad is. Trayas ovai raiga na haitokal na wan she zan. Termeshas ad klombos umbe.

_DZHUSINDA mui GARDA
Dui, zha Danny!

_ZACH
Dui!

Danny dugakas.

ACT I

ACT I, SCENE 1

This scene takes place at Dzhusinda's arcome, in the city of Nekaktel*uthis. Nekaktel*uthis is a run-down kind of town, not the size of a major city, but too big for everybody to know everybody. Date palms, figs, pomegranates, dakas, and cycads dot the landscape, with a single arcology and many stucco boxes at the side of the roads.

Here the characters are in the living room of the arcome of SAZE EUROPIUM DZHUSINDA, a lass with brown skin, green eyes, and many black braids; Dzhusinda serves as the central character in this play. Dzhusinda wears a green sabelana and burgundy mules. Also in the room are ROHO ASTATINE DANNY, Dzhusinda's friend, a lad with a black flip, brown eyes, and olive skin in a white button-up shirt, a vest, cargo pants, and kampajis; and Dzhusinda's great-grandmother IFZE NIHONIUM GARDA, an unemployed old woman with dark skin, hazel eyes, and black hair in a topknot, wearing a do-rag, a granny dress, and electric blue sandals.

DZHUSINDA
So, Great-Grandmom Garda, Danny here was in an accident 20 days ago; I'm sure you've heard about it.

(Matter-of-factly)
DANNY
Yes, I sliced my liver in a cycling accident. Had to get it regenerated.

(In awe)
GARDA
Wow, now that is something! You, Danny, are a brave young man.

(Danny looks around the room and puts his hands in his pockets, thinking of something to say.)

DANNY
It's not as if the operation was painful. I was under anaesthesia and everything. It was rupturing my liver that was painful.

(With her index finger up to her mouth)
GARDA
Can't argue with that!

(The doorbell rings. Dzhusinda steps up and sees who it is. She opens the door.)

Enter ZACH.

APAS OGANESSON ZACH is a lad with messy brown hair, blue eyes, and freckles, dressed in yellow tank top and blue shorts with black hoverboarding shoes and neon bracelets around his wrists. He is Dzhusinda's latest boyfriend, who is aspiring to be a star hoverboarder.

DZHUSINDA
Welcome in, Zach! Zach, this is my great-grandmother Ifze Nihonium Garda.

ZACH
Hi, I'm Apas Oganesson Zach.

(Thinking hard)
GARDA
Zach . . . Zach . . . Zach . . . where have I heard that name. Oh, the Zach Dzhusinda's been telling me about, with the hoverboard, aren't you?

ZACH
Yep.

GARDA
So Zach, tell me about how you got into hoverboarding.

ZACH
I've been skateboarding since I was 6 and hoverboarding since I was 13. It's just in my blood.

GARDA
Coolness!

DANNY
I wouldn't want to hoverboard. Too risky and all, you know?

DZHUSINDA
You'd say that after that cycling incident, wouldn't you?

DANNY
I guess so. Wait --

(Danny's cellphone goes off. He looks at it.)

DANNY
It's my little brother. Have to watch his haitokal game at 10. Guess I'll be going.

DZHUSINDA and GARDA
See you, Danny!

ZACH
See you!

Exit DANNY.
♂♥♂♀

Itlani Jim
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Itlani Jim »

Yartá, iküí ta kulit Itlanit Gadansalan mampisarit onyaru resh shey vangadanova azhelafya. Ta yarit gadanlán seti 21,708 gadanavá onyara ruzay ratá ta bakhnaova ta vangadanainen nentyavu. Idakín, sheyaspalizhe ta mampisós bishyara! Udj ta tsornian, 1,764 vangadanovó zhanavit onyaru.

Presently, I am searching through the whole Itlanit lexicon to identify all the root words. The present wordcount is at 21,708 but I never calculated the number of root words. So, every day the search continues! Up to now, I have found 1,764 roots.
HolyHandGrenade!
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by HolyHandGrenade! »

Khemehekis wrote: 20 Aug 2024 01:30 Made new GIF files instead of that ugly old scanned million-byte GIF. This improved my Kankonian alphabet and numbers page quite a lot! Have a look!

https://khemehekis.angelfire.com/kankalph.htm
I’m not seeing any patterns as to the names of the letters, so I’m curious: how did you derive them?
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I went to my first job interview since I left my last job. I haven't been job searching all that time, but I have been for a while with no bites until now. I think it went well and the job would be a good match, but even if I don't get the position, it made me feel better about continuing my job search.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

HolyHandGrenade! wrote: 03 Sep 2024 01:51 I’m not seeing any patterns as to the names of the letters, so I’m curious: how did you derive them?
Basically, I looked at the old letters (before I wrote them again and again dozens of times to evolve them into the new letters) and came up with phonaesthetic names based on what "sounded like" the letters' shapes.
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

added a new tab to my MRCA dictionary (the parent language of all my main projects) with about 400 words. it's the "neat" dictionary, as opposed to the "messy" one with several thousand words. The neat dictionary consists of words that are used in more than one language and therefore cannot be changed without me checking both (or all) languages. The forms of the words thus are more important. The messy dictionary consists of everything else, mostly words used only in Play, and occasionally words only used in one language but not used in Play. It also has a lot of proper names.

Ideally I would like to get all of the words into the neat dictionary, even if only used in Play, but that will take a lot of effort. The messy dictionary is so disordered that I can't even count the words, since (it's a spreadsheet) the entry words can be in any of three different columns.
Pivunuševibe tiufas, mapa pivumūečip taimiibi.
I pointed you to the stars, and all you saw were the tips of my fingers. (Play)