Philosophy Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Philosophy Thread

Post by TBPO »

I want to post my philosophical view somewhere, but philosophical forums that I found either are payable or are platforms of publishing essays, which don't fit into the friendly atmosphere that is on CBB, so I decided to make a thread in which you can publish your philosophical view (please don't flamewar). So let me start.

I'm a sceptic, in wider sense of that word, but I don't claim that knowledge don't exist. Instead, I claim that not all knowledge claim about the reality. A model is a closed system of knowledge that is independent from other models. Models divide into: reality, practical, theoritical, executive and languages. Reality is the model in which we live. Unlike other models, it don't need a creator. Practical models' goal is explaining the reality. Examples are: math, theory of evolution and Freud's psychoanalysis. Theoritical models go away from the reality and contain things that are extremally unlikely in it. All stories and conworlds belong to this category. Executive models have one specific goal and are optimised to achieve it. The obvious examples are computer programs.

Languages are models that are symbol systems used for communication. Note that math and music aren't languages because they aren't used for communication. The unique trait of most languages is that they can be used to describe models (including that languages). Languages divide further into declarative and imperative. Declarative languages use declarative statements as basic unit of communication, and all statements can be reduced to declarative - for example, spoken languages. Imperative languages, on the other hand, use imperative statements as basic unit.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Re: Philosophy Thread

Post by LinguistCat »

I don't know about a generalized philosophy, but I think that - observationally - we could not differentiate if a universe would allow for free will or not, unless one were able to time travel into the past. Nor should we try to differentiate it, honestly.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

I don't have a philosophy. I do think Aristotle and Plato were headed in the right direction, but generally I find that philosophers grope in the darkness when the light is all around them.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

I'd usually call myself a utilitarian. Certainly that's my philosophy with regard to policy decisions and such, and things that affect society at large. The correct course of action is always the one that causes the greatest net increase in people's happiness. In practice this usually comes out as some form of social libertarianism.
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

soldier koi, made of grain, now an empty dell...

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

elemtilas wrote: 11 Sep 2024 07:43 I don't have a philosophy. I do think Aristotle and Plato were headed in the right direction, but generally I find that philosophers grope in the darkness when the light is all around them.
What is the light and the darkness in your metaphor?
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Many people are religious nowadays. They just call their religion an “ideology”.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

Man in Space wrote: 18 Sep 2024 23:31 Many people are religious nowadays. They just call their religion an “ideology”.
I'm ideologically neutral. I think that mild ideologies are okay, but extremes are usually evil. Nazis and Soviets had very opposite ideologies, but their crimes are very similar.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

The distinction between the common perceptions of a religion and an ideology is often simply that a religion includes a theist cosmology.
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

soldier koi, made of grain, now an empty dell...

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

Arayaz wrote: 19 Sep 2024 16:37 The distinction between the common perceptions of a religion and an ideology is often simply that a religion includes a theist cosmology.
It need not to be theist; Buddhism is a religion and includes cosmology, but it doesn't include gods.