TBPO's Conlanging Scratchpad

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Re: History of my heartlangs #3 & #4

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 16 Aug 2024 11:48 Kago
Goal of Kago was to be light sounding and have lots of suffixes that tell you part of speech, deixis, case and case. It fulfilled its goals. Phonology is simple, light-sounding; it even didn't have a rhotic in it's beginning! (later I added silly-sounding /ɽ͡ɽ̪/). Morphology was complex, both nouns and verbs were heavily inflected. Worse: I based my case system on Ithkuil, so it had twenty-something cases! It was hard to remember to me, so I must look at tables to translate something into Kago. But it wasn't such a failure; it was a solid piece of work.
Have you heard of Tsez? It's got wayyy more cases than Ithkuil.
TBPO wrote: 16 Aug 2024 12:17 Klatx
When once I was making text for death metal song, I realised that Polish has too few brutal words for to kill, so I decided that I will make the death metal conlang - Klatx. Its goals are to be harsh-sounding, have brutal vocabulary (50 words for kill!) and have simpler inflection that Kago. It had allophonic vowel harmony and inflection [word class]+[ending]. Word class (C) was like noun class but for all words (Person, Tool etc.), and ending (V) determined part of speech, person (verbs) and case (nouns). There was only 2 cases: ergative and absolutive. (I forgot how to form plurals). But word class system often disabled consonant clusters, making Klatx a little bit light-sounding. Not best conlang, but its ending system was a base of Tasim inflection.
I find it really funny (in a good way!) that you made a conlang specifically for death metal. A few questions:
1) What are the semantic nuances of the fifty words for "to kill"?
2) How did you achieve the "harsh" sound?
3) How does the death growl figure into the language?
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

soldier koi, made of grain, now an empty dell...

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

Arayaz wrote: 16 Aug 2024 15:21
TBPO wrote: 16 Aug 2024 11:48 Kago
Goal of Kago was to be light sounding and have lots of suffixes that tell you part of speech, deixis, case and case. It fulfilled its goals. Phonology is simple, light-sounding; it even didn't have a rhotic in it's beginning! (later I added silly-sounding /ɽ͡ɽ̪/). Morphology was complex, both nouns and verbs were heavily inflected. Worse: I based my case system on Ithkuil, so it had twenty-something cases! It was hard to remember to me, so I must look at tables to translate something into Kago. But it wasn't such a failure; it was a solid piece of work.
Have you heard of Tsez? It's got wayyy more cases than Ithkuil.
TBPO wrote: 16 Aug 2024 12:17 Klatx
When once I was making text for death metal song, I realised that Polish has too few brutal words for to kill, so I decided that I will make the death metal conlang - Klatx. Its goals are to be harsh-sounding, have brutal vocabulary (50 words for kill!) and have simpler inflection that Kago. It had allophonic vowel harmony and inflection [word class]+[ending]. Word class (C) was like noun class but for all words (Person, Tool etc.), and ending (V) determined part of speech, person (verbs) and case (nouns). There was only 2 cases: ergative and absolutive. (I forgot how to form plurals). But word class system often disabled consonant clusters, making Klatx a little bit light-sounding. Not best conlang, but its ending system was a base of Tasim inflection.
I find it really funny (in a good way!) that you made a conlang specifically for death metal. A few questions:
1) What are the semantic nuances of the fifty words for "to kill"?
2) How did you achieve the "harsh" sound?
3) How does the death growl figure into the language?
0) No, I have not heard of Tsez. I know that Ithkuil isn't most case-heavy langauge on Earth, but it has enough cases to be a terrible heartlang.
1) Unfortunely, Klatx didn't achieve 50 words milestone before I abadoned it, but words for "kill" occupied the majority of developed lexicon. Most words for "kill" differed from each other in way that they were other methods of killing, but I just have realised that they can differ also in motivations or consequences.
2) I achieved this effect by making vowel harmony affecting both consonants and vowels, where "a", "o" and "u" backen all phones in the word.
3) My vocabulary is too small to have this word [:(] 90% if my small vocab are words for "kill"...
:poland: [:D] :england: [:)] German* [:(]
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:41 0) No, I have not heard of Tsez. I know that Ithkuil isn't most case-heavy langauge on Earth, but it has enough cases to be a terrible heartlang.
Ithkuil is a conlang...
TBPO wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:411) Unfortunely, Klatx didn't achieve 50 words milestone before I abadoned it, but words for "kill" occupied the majority of developed lexicon. Most words for "kill" differed from each other in way that they were other methods of killing, but I just have realised that they can differ also in motivations or consequences.
I see.
TBPO wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:412) I achieved this effect by making vowel harmony affecting both consonants and vowels, where "a", "o" and "u" backen all phones in the word.
Ah, interesting. Thinking more on this, I note that many death singers backen their front vowels while singing.
TBPO wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:413) My vocabulary is too small to have this word [:(] 90% if my small vocab are words for "kill"...
Ah, no, I meant to ask if you made the death growl part of your phonology, or if you designed the language to facilitate death growls.
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

Arayaz wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:44
TBPO wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:41 0) No, I have not heard of Tsez. I know that Ithkuil isn't most case-heavy langauge on Earth, but it has enough cases to be a terrible heartlang.
Ithkuil is a conlang...
I know.
Arayaz wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:44
TBPO wrote: 20 Aug 2024 21:413) My vocabulary is too small to have this word [:(] 90% if my small vocab are words for "kill"...
Ah, no, I meant to ask if you made the death growl part of your phonology, or if you designed the language to facilitate death growls.
No, I don't maked it the part of the phonology, because, paradoxally, it will handicap the death metal singers because in language without phonemical death growls these singers can use they in any moment. As for facilitate, what phonology can make death growls easier to pronounce than in, say, English?

It's a chance that in indefinite future I will make another death metal language which, in the contrast with Klatx, won't be my personal language, but language optimised for death metal (behold, death growl!)
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Tasim Phonology

Post by TBPO »

Tasim is my newest personal language, designed by me for me. (See: History of my heartlangs #6). Below it's phonology of it (in X-SAMPA because I write it on ebook reader):

/p t ts` k/ p t č k~c*
/b d g/ b d g
/f s s` x/ f s š (c)h**
/z z`/ z ž
/m n N/ m n ň
/l r`r/ l r
/P_~ l j w/ v l i~j*** u~w***

/i 1 u/ i y u
/E a O/ e a o

Like in Esperanto, in Tasim there aren't any phonotactical restrictions; I add consonant clusters that feel right for me... but unlike Esperanto, Tasim is a heartlang.

*/k/ is written "c" only in o-stem creo "creation from nothing".
**/x/ is written "ch" only in loanwords in which [x] is written with "ch".
***Former is written in non-initial non-intervocalic position, and latter is written elsewhere.
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Tasim Inflection

Post by TBPO »

There are 3 types of stems in Tasim: most common y-stems, uncommon o-stems and very rare a-stems. Below is the inflection of Tasim words:

Code: Select all

Y-   O-    A-
NOM noun  -(y) -o   -a
GEN noun  -i   -i   -(a)i
INS noun  -iň  -iň  -iň
LOC noun  -eň  -eň  -eň
ALL noun  -eňk -eňk -eňk
INF verb  -aň  -aň  -aň
1. person -a   -a   -ia
2. person -e   -e   -e
3. person -o   -ou  -o
ADJ*      -u   -u   -(a)u
Spoiler:
-n PL
-m IMP
ky- causative (moraň "to die", kymoraň "to kill")
no- negation
-r present
-s past
-v future
*Tasim lacks adverbs.
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Kenua Phonology

Post by TBPO »

Kenua is the only language spoken in Northern Kenuya and the main language of southern Kenua. Here's phonology:

/p t t͡ʃ k ʔ/ p t ch k hh
/b d g/ b d g
/s ʃ h/ s sh h
/m n ŋ/ m n nh
/ɾ r l ɫ/ r rr l lh
/j w/ i u

/i u/ i u
/ɛ ə ɔ/ e y o
/a/ a
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Proto-Ngwonlyok Phonology

Post by TBPO »

I have an idea for a phonology of a Proto-Ngwonlyok [NuJLok]. I will write everything in X-Sampa.

/t k(_w) c c_w/ t k(w) c cw
/T W~w s\ s\_w/ th wh ch chw
/n N(_w) J J_w/ n ng(w) ny nwy
/l 5(_w) L L_w/ l lw ly lwy
/D_o w~M\ j H/ r w y wy

/e~i a~E~A o~u/ e a o
Stress on the last syllable of a root.
Allophony:
-Word-final labialized consonants turn delabialize (in exception of /W/ that turn into [w]). If delabialized consonant is identical to non-labial phonemic consonant then change is phonemic.
-/e a/ turn into [ i E] after (labio)palatal consonant.
-/a/ turns into [A] after labiovelar consonant.
-/o/ turns into [ u] after labialised consonant.
-[ij] turns into [i:] and [uw] turns into [u:].
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
TBPO
sinic
sinic

English Creole

Post by TBPO »

I have an idea of English-something tonal creole that won't be based on Oceanic languages.
Edit: Êm fênat êtíya lêk Ínglísh én atíng tòn akríyol, ítọn pipêsonat Osíyan mênlengich.
Phonology

/p t tS k/ p t ch k
/f s S h/ f s sh h
/m n N/ m n n(g)
/l r\ j w/ l r y w

/i u/
/E O/
/a/

There will be 5 tones: low (1 a), high (5 á), high falling (53 â), low falling (31 à)
Edit: and rare rising (13 ạ)

Grammar

It will be less isolating than English, but still analytic. Word order will be SVO. There are 3 cases, 3 tenses and 2 aspects. The cases are: nominative, accusative, genitive and dative. The tenses are: past, present and future. The aspects are: perfective, imperfective. Only nominative is marked for tense or aspect.
ACC -/
GEN -of
DAT -tú

Both subject and verb are marked for tense and aspect. There are all possible combinations:
PRS.PRF: S V
PRS.IMPRF: Sír Vin
PST.PRF: S Vt
PST.IMPRF: Sor Vin
FUT.PRF: Sil V
FUT.IMPRF: Sil piVin

Also there are at least two moods:
IMP: S mosV
GNOMIC: S túV

Therefore, nouns also have a prefix that indicated number and definiteness. Numbers are: singular, dual and plural. Definiteness can be: definite or indefinite. Possible combinations are:
SG.DEF: ti-
DUAL.DEF: tù-
PL.DEF: mên-
SG.INDEF: a-
DUAL.INDEF: syâ-
PL.INDEF: som-
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
TBPO
sinic
sinic

English Creole Sound Changes

Post by TBPO »

Sound Changes from English to Creole
Sònof mênchen Ínglíshfrom Kríyoltú

N[+v +plosive] to N
[+v] to [-v]
ar to â
er to è
ir to ì
or to ô
ur to ù
ae to é
ai, ei to ê
au, lu to ò
I to í
U to ú
@ to a
wi, we to y
ju to y
y to i
i: to ĩ (like â but different diactric due to using Vietnamese alphabet)
u: to ũ (reason is the same)
V\ to o
je to ẹ
ji to ị
wo to ọ
wu to ụ
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
TBPO
sinic
sinic

My name

Post by TBPO »

Do you curious what was the source of my name? Probably not, but when I read the story of Arayaz' name, I decided to write similar, but about my name.
First that you should know that my full nickname is Ten Billion Plus One. The second is that it's a number. Why it's so important? Because #1 I'm the fan of mathematics and 2# It was a pure accident.
I was frustrated that I'm telling to the Internet my real-life name when using my email, co I decided to change it and create a new email. I had no idea what my new name should be, so I tried 1, 2, 3 etc. and next 10, 100, 1000 etc. I was going to very large numbers, so instead of 10000000000 I wrote "tenbillion", and email with identical name still exists! Frustrated, I wrote "tenbillionplusone", and it worked! I decided that it will be my new nickname, replacing the Kapitan Gamer.
So that was a story of my nickname.
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Re: My name

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 03 Sep 2024 20:21 Do you curious what was the source of my name? Probably not, but when I read the story of Arayaz' name, I decided to write similar, but about my name.
First that you should know that my full nickname is Ten Billion Plus One. The second is that it's a number. Why it's so important? Because #1 I'm the fan of mathematics and 2# It was a pure accident.
I was frustrated that I'm telling to the Internet my real-life name when using my email, co I decided to change it and create a new email. I had no idea what my new name should be, so I tried 1, 2, 3 etc. and next 10, 100, 1000 etc. I was going to very large numbers, so instead of 10000000000 I wrote "tenbillion", and email with identical name still exists! Frustrated, I wrote "tenbillionplusone", and it worked! I decided that it will be my new nickname, replacing the Kapitan Gamer.
So that was a story of my nickname.
Cool!

Names being taken is always so wild to me. My full name (first and last) is not common ─ one result if you Google it (in quotes for an exact match), and that result isn't related to me at all. Now, some months ago, I went to make a new home email address with my new name. For the sake of the example, let's say my name was Heather Fields (it's not). Not only was h.eatherfields.@gmail.com taken, but so were heathe.rfields1.@gmail.com, heather.fields2.@gmail.com, heather.fields3.@gmail.com, and so on up to 12! Thus I became heatherfi.elds13.@gmail.com. A fortunate coincidence, as 13 is my favorite number. But it's still wild to me. I've been tempted to email the other thirteen heatherfields email addresses just to see who they are. Although I can't help the suspicion that these are not all associated with real people at the moment, and some of them are unavailable for some other reason.
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

TBPO
sinic
sinic

Re: English Descendant #001

Post by TBPO »

I'm thinking of a creation of a English descendant.

/p t ʈ k/ p t ch k
/b d ɖ g/ b d j g
/s ʂ/ s sh
/z~ɹ ʐ/ z zh
/l~ʁ j w/ l y w

/iː i yː u uː/ ii i ue u uu
/ɪ̃ ʏ̃ː/ in un
/e eː øː oː ɤ ɤː/ e ee oe o r rr
/ɛ̃ ɛ̃ː ʌ̃ː/ an en rn
/æ æː ɑ/ a aa ao
/ʁ̩ n̩ w̩/ ll nn ww

Long vowels shorten in ustressed syllables.
/z/ is [ɹ] word-finally or before a consonant.
/ʁ/ is [l] word-initially.
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: TBPO Scratchpad

Post by Khemehekis »

"Khemehekis" is the Kankonian word for "counterculturalist". Khemehek means "counterculture"; it was borrowed from the Shaleyan word khemehek, which meant "rebellion"; the word in present-day Shaleyan is khemek, but Kankonian keeps the khemehek form, the same way Anglophones still say "aardvark" even though Afrikaaners have now moved on to saying "erdverk". The suffix -is makes a noun for a person.

And no, neither "Khemehekis" nor "Savegraduation" have ever been "taken" when I applied for a name on some Internet service.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: Now at 100,209 words!

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Unnamed conlang #1

Post by TBPO »

Unnamed conlang #1

VSO, agglutinative, head-initial, derivation pushed to extremes.

/p b t d k g/ p b t d k g
/s h/ s h
/m n/ m n
/j w/ y w

/i i: y: u u:/ i ii ue u uu
/e e: 2: o o:/ e ee oe o oo
/a a: A A:/ a aa r rr

Morphology is extremally derivational, biconsonental roots.
1e2 standard meaning NOM
2o12e standard meaning ACC
1r2 std.m. related intransitive verb
1a2et std.m. related causative of 1r2
M-N picture
S-H human
Men srh. - Picture exists.
Seh sahet nomne. - He/she paints a picture.
My conlangs
My conworlds
*I'll fix it later