it rains

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
lurker
roman
roman

Re: it rains

Post by lurker »

Code: Select all

qgHr-0
rain-AUTH
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

:con: 3SDL:
ŠeùýVi
(the top giving drops...)
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

To say "it's stopped raining" in Tobarese, the most direct translation that I have so far is:
  • quwiyadzálumīt
    [ʔʊwɪjɐˈd͡zɐlʊmɪːt]
    q<uw><iy><adz>álum-ī-t
    rain<PRF><INCEP><NEG>-SBJ.RANK5-be.moment
    It has stopped raining.
Rather than a specific morpheme for "stop", "cease", you just say <iy><adz>, literally "begin not to". You could regard this as a morpheme on its own meaning "cease" because the negative infix is otherwise generally stressed: <ádz> and this is optional with the sequence <iy><adz>.

The equivalent of a dummy subject is generally -īt, most literally meaning "time" or "moment" ... the moment has stopped raining. It's not time as in a abstract temporal expanse, what a clock measures, "how much time?" — that would be -ittót or, more poetically, -uttót — but rather "time" as in a temporal location of an event or the temporal expanse of a longer event, a moment, a duration.

E.g. with the base máš meaning "be what?", mášīt, with this dummy subject meaning, can be used as a way to say "What's up?", "What's going on?", or, with the literal meaning of t it can also be used as a way to say "when?" (although the subject-predicate reversal of that, timmáš, is how that's usually expressed). By contrast, mášittót is the much more philosophical question "What is time?🤔"

It could also be done with the existential root y(án) in the predicate and -iqqálum "rain" in the subject position.
  • Yuwiyadzániqqálum.
    [jʊwɪjɐˈd͡zɐnɪˌʔːɐlʊm]
    y<uw><iy><adz>án-ī-qálum
    exist<PRF><INCEP><NEG>-SBJ.RANK5-rain
    There has ceased to be rain.
    The rain has ceased to exist.
The difference between these two structures is not really about a noun/verb distinction (to rain vs (some) rain) as both of these structures are available for any lexical item. The structure with y(án) tends to be a bit more about static situations and -īt for processes that are relatively temporary. For example:
  • Y(án)ittšqén.
    y(án)-ī-tšqén
    exist-SBJ.R5-be.people.PEJ
    Ew, there are people (in existence).
    Ew, people exist.
  • Tšqénīt.
    tšqén-ī-t
    be.people.PEJ-SBJ.R5-be.moment
    Ew, there are people (at the moment).
    "Ew, it's peopling."
To say "No, it's still raining, you start with a word for "no", kq(a) [k’(ɐ)] or dziā [d͡z(j)æː] and use the continuative infix <omb> to say "still".
  • Dziā, qombálumīt.
    [d͡z(j)æː | ʔɔˈmbɐlʊmɪːt]
    dz-iā | q<omb>álum-ī-t
    be.NEG-SR/PROP rain<continue>-SBJ.R5-be.moment
    No, it's still raining.
You could use the progressive aspect marker <ay> as well: qayombálumīt but it's facultative rather than obligatory, so generally unnecessary.

And to go with the most direct translation of my interpretation of the original English sentence: It stopped raining.
  • Qiziyadzálumīt.
    q<iz><iy><adz>álum-ī-t
    rain<PST><INCEP><NEG>-R5-be.moment
    It stopped raining.
Without any surrounding temporal context, the most appropriate response to this would be:
  • Timmáš?
    t-ī-má-š
    be.moment-R5-be.what-POL
    When?
It's still raining / Qombálumīt doesn't contradict this because the simple past, in my dialect of English, and the past tense marker <iz> indicate that we're talking about a past event without any associated claim about the present. It did indeed stop raining many times in the past, but which one of those times are you talking about? I find the disappearance of this distinction in American English pretty weird. (To be clear, I don't mean linguistically weird. I know that distinction gets lost very easily and in central-western Europe, it's generally been lost in favour of the present perfect — so why not in favour of the simple past? I mean weird as in, kind of jarring to me as it clashes with my internal grammar and sounds distinctly non-native to me even though native speakers of North American Englishes regularly do this.)

(Is there a way to indent here without adding a bullet point?)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, ᴬ = agent, ᴱ = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Tobarese looks very interesting. It reminds me a bit of Pabappa's languages in some vague way I can't put my finger on.
Imralu wrote: 15 Jun 2024 08:27 ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ [much cool stuff]

(Is there a way to indent here without adding a bullet point?)
I do a

​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ <-- stack of zero-width and normal spaces

Which shows up OK (for me at least).

And I guess just for the hell of it, here's some boring Turunisi

Stap pruandu
/tʃta* pru͡antu/
[ʃtɐp.ˈpɾu͡ãd(ʊ)]
be.3sg rain-PRES.PPL
"It's raining."

Or more obliquely

Kkiu a prua.
/kki͡u* a pru͡a/
[ˌcːi͡u.ɐ.ˈɸɾu͡a]
here have.3sg rain
"There's rain here."

And maybe iteration 1,000,000,000 of Vissard

I pluche.
/i ˈpluʃ/
it rains
"It's raining."
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

:con: HTAP
«Pëc3 phyün1 lüt4 tür3» «Güy! phyün1 thwá1 tür3 tí2!»
«CESS have (PST) rain» ‖ «NEG have (PRS) rain still»
"There stopped being rain." "No there is rain still"

HTAP is extremely boring in this respects. "Rain" is fully nominal, and thus just gets a simple phyün-have existentials in either example. Although tí2 "still, yet" and pëc3 "CESS" are interesting elsewhere, that's really not visible here

:it-sa:

"Aiat a tzessare a pròghere." - "Nou, balu proghet
"It has stopped raining." - "No, it still rains"

Nothing too fancy here. I think the typical verb for stop, si firmare doesn't really apply to inanimates like this. When checking my dictionary, tzessare (from Italian cessare) was used with weather.
HolyHandGrenade!
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by HolyHandGrenade! »

‘eśklin uses the middle voice for these things:

Par to
[paɹ t̪o]
rain MID
It rains

Par to tcu
[paɹ t̪o t̪͡su]
rain MID CESS
It stops raining
(Tense is optional. Tcu means “to sit”)

Ga, par to saśń
[ga paɹ t̪o saʂɳ]
no rain MID CONT
No, it still rains
(Saśń means “to stand”)
Knox Adjacent
sinic
sinic

Post by Knox Adjacent »

A: Waṛiŋ wayatarapat̰a. B: Wiraŋ. Waṛiŋ wayatara t̰al̰u.
A: LIQ-Water 3LIQ-fall-CESS-PST B: ABST-false. LIQ-water 3LIQ-fall-PRS still
A: it stopped raining. B: Guess again. It still is.
Ŋiṉuma malirkawali makaŋiwali-ṭa?
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

:con: Saq (I try to create conlang that will be only in my mind, like Isd's 3DS Deductive Language (or something similar))

Fshu toou.
water fall.V
It rains.

Tuu hy fshu ait.
fall of water stop.V
It stopped raining.

E, tuu hy fshu eait.
NEG, fall of water NEG-stop.V
No, rain continues.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

TBPO wrote: 31 Aug 2024 13:24 :con: Saq (I try to create conlang that will be only in my mind, like Isd's 3DS Deductive Language (or something similar))
Oh, goodness. You do realize that lsd's "language" is just whatever he comes up with on the spot, and has little to no consistency instance-to-instance?
my thread
arayaz.neocities.org

soldier koi, made of grain, now an empty dell...

proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

Arayaz wrote: 31 Aug 2024 21:05
TBPO wrote: 31 Aug 2024 13:24 :con: Saq (I try to create conlang that will be only in my mind, like Isd's 3DS Deductive Language (or something similar))
Oh, goodness. You do realize that lsd's "language" is just whatever he comes up with on the spot, and has little to no consistency instance-to-instance?
[:(]