Preferred language?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Preferred language?

Post by DV82LECM »

In making anyone of your conlangs, have any of you found that you would prefer to speak it over your natural language? With my current project, that is the case.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Preferred language?

Post by Khemehekis »

How developed is your current language?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: Now at 101,000 words!

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Jul 2024 23:42 How developed is your current language?
I have no problem saying, but I didn't want to make this another post about it. As for your question, I might have a hundred roots, but the systematic and quite fusional, polysynthetic grammar is where I am having the most fun. My subject a-, object o-, dual ę- plural system with bound transitive pronouns presents a very interesting way to arrange information.

As for the question at large, your language is a legend. Likely more developed than any of the new ones, and likely as much as any of the old (Klingon), yours is one of the most beautifuly-complex current-era examples we have of a fleshed-out conlang. Alurhsa, back in the day, is another for me. It is so damn good, too.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

DV82LECM wrote: 04 Jul 2024 23:47
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Jul 2024 23:42 How developed is your current language?
I have no problem saying, but I didn't want to make this another post about it. As for your question, I might have a hundred roots, but the systematic and quite fusional, polysynthetic grammar is where I am having the most fun.
If you love it so much, stick with it! [+1]
As for the question at large, your language is a legend. Likely more developed than any of the new ones, and likely as much as any of the old (Klingon), yours is one of the most beautifuly-complex current-era examples we have of a fleshed-out conlang. Alurhsa, back in the day, is another for me. It is so damn good, too.
Why, thank you! Kankonian dates back to 1996, so I'm not sure if you consider it an old one or a new one. I strive to make the lexicon and grammar of Kankonian as close to complete as a language invented by a single mortal human being can be.

And yes, Alurhsa! What a language Tony Harris has unleashed. Another language with thousands and thousands of words and a detailed grammar. All a priori, from another world, too! And then there's the aesthetic beauty of the language -- and the conworld.

I've always been into Jim Hopkins' Itlani and its associated conworld as well, and am a member of the Itlani Facebook group.
♂♥♂♀

DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Khemehekis wrote: 04 Jul 2024 23:59 Why, thank you! Kankonian dates back to 1996, so I'm not sure if you consider it an old one or a new one. I strive to make the lexicon and grammar of Kankonian as close to complete as a language invented by a single mortal human being can be.

And yes, Alurhsa! What a language Tony Harris has unleashed. Another language with thousands and thousands of words and a detailed grammar. All a priori, from another world, too! And then there's the aesthetic beauty of the language -- and the conworld.

I've always been into Jim Hopkins' Itlani and its associated conworld as well, and am a member of the Itlani Facebook group.
The date is new. I meant Klingon and even Quenya. The one word that always stuck out to me was <bwolwo> "eye." It just sounds like a word. I think I recall you speaking on how a word doesn't always have to sound pretty to be a good word. When I finally accepted how to make what I wanted to, it just came, and in a way that was aesthetically-perfect and functionally-complex to the desired themes.

Involving Alursha, it might have inspired my word aesthetic, now that I think about it.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

DV82LECM wrote: 05 Jul 2024 00:07 The date is new. I meant Klingon and even Quenya. The one word that always stuck out to me was <bwolwo> "eye." It just sounds like a word. I think I recall you speaking on how a word doesn't always have to sound pretty to be a good word. When I finally accepted how to make what I wanted to, it just came, and in a way that was aesthetically-perfect and functionally-complex to the desired themes.

Involving Alursha, it might have inspired my word aesthetic, now that I think about it.
Oh, yes! I remember when I said that! You were thinking of this post: https://cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=30 ... wo#p304018
Weren't you?
♂♥♂♀

DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Jul 2024 00:18
DV82LECM wrote: 05 Jul 2024 00:07 The date is new. I meant Klingon and even Quenya. The one word that always stuck out to me was <bwolwo> "eye." It just sounds like a word. I think I recall you speaking on how a word doesn't always have to sound pretty to be a good word. When I finally accepted how to make what I wanted to, it just came, and in a way that was aesthetically-perfect and functionally-complex to the desired themes.

Oh, yes! I remember when I said that! You were thinking of this post: https://cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=30 ... wo#p304018
Weren't you?
Uh-huh.

I looked it up to confirm before I posted.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Are you familiar with Poisson's Siu,a, one of this board's living legends? Its enormous grammar is available as a dead-tree book and can be read online here.
♂♥♂♀

lurker
roman
roman

Post by lurker »

I wish I could, but I'd need to turn into a yinrih lol.

Commonthroat is nowhere near as complete as a lot of conlangs, but I've been a serious scrapper until now, and I have you guys to thank for keeping me going on this project. Thanks.
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

lurker wrote: 05 Jul 2024 00:48 I wish I could, but I'd need to turn into a yinrih lol.

Commonthroat is nowhere near as complete as a lot of conlangs, but I've been a serious scrapper until now, and I have you guys to thank for keeping me going on this project. Thanks.
I think about your language when I watch my dogs fight. It helps me imagine what you seem to intend.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
lurker
roman
roman

Post by lurker »

DV82LECM wrote: 05 Jul 2024 01:51
lurker wrote: 05 Jul 2024 00:48 I wish I could, but I'd need to turn into a yinrih lol.

I think about your language when I watch my dogs fight. It helps me imagine what you seem to intend.
Here are some videos that give a good approximation of what it sounds like in my head.

huffs and yips (the first noise the dog makes after the timestamp sounds almost passable as a valid yinrih utterance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VYiwy4oLE&t=56s

yips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3SFXwdAqro

grunts and growls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J66-OuP2fo

Whines and grunts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSOabVo3ohI

Chuffs (although perhaps not as low pitched)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Ts6DRnDGk

Terraboos trying to speak English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhf-d9JCc8k

Not exactly related to Commonthroat, but here's some recursive onomatopoeia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83m261lAlrs
Visions1
roman
roman

Post by Visions1 »

To whit, there sure are a lot of living legends on this site. It's funny to think that I talk with you guys regularly, but if I had only ever heard of any of you, I'd be utterly floored. (Or nonplussed - but let's keep it positive.)

I used to speak my conlangs to myself more, but now I don't. Often I'll just get a word stuck in my head, or use said word in my head.
Interestingly enough, they do influence my speech. For example, in the Swâng thread, I wrote:

Txut Cjá Wɔ́
Reasonable But
But, that makes sense...

And now, the phrase "But, that makes sense/is reasonable" has entered my inner monologue/outer rants to myself in the kitchen at 1AM.
lsd
roman
roman

Post by lsd »

DV82LECM wrote: 04 Jul 2024 23:23 In making anyone of your conlangs, have any of you found that you would prefer to speak it over your natural language? With my current project, that is the case.
speak, I don't know, like a lot of conlang 3SDL is breathless...
it's little spoken by me, and I have the greatest difficulty understanding the recordings I've made of it,
if I'm not fluent I write it on the fly...

I don't prefer it to my mother tongue,
to which I'm very attached,
but it does add a gap that I find hard to do without now...

I see it as a way of re-enchanting the world
through the astonishing prism it applies to it...

but it remains foreign to me,
and I consider myself less its creator than its discoverer...

it's self-organizing, and I haven't had to add a single new word or rule in decades,
just a few backward-compatible simplifications...
but I never tire of it, and it's become second nature...
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Of course I prefer to speak my conlang more than any of my natlangs. That's the point of conlanging, and I never like natlangs anyway.
Image neocities website | Image griushkoent conlang
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I suppose I would but I'd also like to be fluent in Japanese or Finnish or about a dozen other nat langs past and present than English. The only thing good about it in particular is that a lot of people use it as a secondary language, so if I can't speak their language they might know enough English for things to work out.
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

None of my conlangs are developed enough to speak it.
Prime
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Prime »

Sometimes I wish Zomítla, my conlang, were my native language and English were a kitchen-sinky conlang I was making. 😏
TBPO
sinic
sinic

Post by TBPO »

Polish and English are often mixed in my notes.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

DV82LECM wrote: 04 Jul 2024 23:23 In making anyone of your conlangs, have any of you found that you would prefer to speak it over your natural language? With my current project, that is the case.

All of my conlangs are insufficiently developed in one or more areas, possibly a different one for each conlang, to be spoken yet.
The one I wish I could speak is my oldest one, Adpihi.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

TBPO wrote: 31 Jul 2024 09:09 Polish and English are often mixed in my notes.

I sometimes include French, or (less often) German, in my notes and posts. Those are the only natlangs I’ve successfully used to both speak and understand “out in the world”. But, depending who’s deciding, I’m not really fluent in either of them.

(Come to think of it, some people don’t think I’m fluent even in English!)